Thread: Syria

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Thanks to the people of Lebanon rising up in the name of democracy. Now there is coincidence and timing. It now appears that Mr Bush has been given a 'reason' to invade Syria. Syria returning their troops to the Bekaa Valley apparently does not satisfy Mr Bush.

Should this occur, I sincerely hope it does not, how many members think that Mr Bush should also invade territory occupied by Israel. To remove them from the Golan Heights and other occupied areas. Considering the Palestinians have made the same protestations over many years.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Not a snowball's chance of that. However, he cannot invade Syria to liberate Lebanon unless the Lebanese clealy want him too. I don't think that is on the cards.

If he invades it will be from Iraq and something to do with terrorists or perhaps WMD again.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Thanks to the people of Lebanon rising up in the name of democracy. Now there is coincidence and timing. It now appears that Mr Bush has been given a 'reason' to invade Syria. Syria returning their troops to the Bekaa Valley apparently does not satisfy Mr Bush.

Should this occur, I sincerely hope it does not, how many members think that Mr Bush should also invade territory occupied by Israel. To remove them from the Golan Heights and other occupied areas. Considering the Palestinians have made the same protestations over many years.

As one of it's greatest allies, I very highly doubt that Israel will ever be invaded by America. Lest we forget, billions of dollars is given to Israel annually by the US, not to mention weapons that the Israeli's use against the Palestinians. But on topic, I too am glad the Syria is leaving Lebanon but once again America will not invade them, but if Bush does come to such a decision, well than, what can WE do? I for one will not sit idly by and watch another country fall in the name of "democracy" when the dillema could have been solved diplomatically. You don't hit a person when he gives another person's possesion back to that person (as is the case right now). I didn't do anything when Iraq's sovereignty was stolen away from them (yes I will agree it was for a good cause, but surely diplomacy would've worked), I definitely will not sit on my ass and watch America Bush go to war again, I don't know what I will do, but when the time comes, well, I'll think of something.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Dark Steno's Avatar lol fang tan
    Bush will likely to use the same reason to invade then.
    Yours Sincerely,

Dark Steno @ Maskawaih

| manker FTW too! Awesome and superior being ^_^! |

| Maskawaih.com |My DeviantArt|

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    There has been a wee bit of a turnaround in events in this situation. There was a bigger turnout of popular opinion wanting the Syrians to remain in the Lebanon. So Mr Bush has no reason to invade now. He could say that the second rally was orchestrated. Whereas the first one was not?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    There has been a wee bit of a turnaround in events in this situation. There was a bigger turnout of popular opinion wanting the Syrians to remain in the Lebanon. So Mr Bush has no reason to invade now. He could say that the second rally was orchestrated. Whereas the first one was not?
    I think they are putting it down to some very bad Cous Cous and mass hypnosis.

Lebanon is one of those places, like Somalia, where it is best to tread carefully. There are so many conflicting disputes and loyalties that those that weigh in from outside are in danger of triggering a landslide of grief. What is remarkable is that the small Syrian force encounters so little (none?) in the way of attacks (in what is an extremely volatile population). The majority of Lebanese may wish the Syrians to leave and let them get on with things themselves. However, the feelings appear ambigious. The Syrian and Lebanese economies have always been quite close (under the Ottomans they were the same district) and ethnically the Shias feel close to the Syrians.

I think the best course is to offer support such as the Lebanese might want but keep well clear of appearing to back one side over another. Something the Syrians have been surprisingly good at.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I think they are putting it down to some very bad Cous Cous and mass hypnosis.

Lebanon is one of those places, like Somalia, where it is best to tread carefully. There are so many conflicting disputes and loyalties that those that weigh in from outside are in danger of triggering a landslide of grief. What is remarkable is that the small Syrian force encounters so little (none?) in the way of attacks (in what is an extremely volatile population). The majority of Lebanese may wish the Syrians to leave and let them get on with things themselves. However, the feelings appear ambigious. The Syrian and Lebanese economies have always been quite close (under the Ottomans they were the same district) and ethnically the Shias feel close to the Syrians.

I think the best course is to offer support such as the Lebanese might want but keep well clear of appearing to back one side over another. Something the Syrians have been surprisingly good at.
    Well said young man.