Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 Gb Hdd Or Ati Allin Wonder?

Poster
    which should i get i like tv tuner recording and vhs copting to harddrive but i have a 20 gig hdd right now

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    kooky_kramer's Avatar Poster
    20 gig not much by todays standards 80 gigs are now under 200 Aus$ (bout 105 US&#036 so they are quite affordable. If you want to dabble in ripping and stuff youll need a bigger harddrive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    removed

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    You really won't be happy with the capture card until you get a bigger drive anyway. Encoding files to mpeg quality takes lots of time, and plenty of harddrive space. For example, a 30 minute TV show can take over a GB of space on your drive. From there, you can re-encode the file to shrink it down, but that takes even more space.

Just a recommendation, but 60 gigs is becoming small by todays standards too. I wouldn't buy anything less than 80 GB.
    Proud member of MDS

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    hmm thanks for the input people

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    hey im using a 20gb hard drive! lol...

80gb is standard now... since itz gone up to like 200gb... and 250gb....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    soul ur using 20 gigs too how much free space do ya have?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    4 - 5gbs free..... k-lite takes 7gbs here...

2gbs disappeared somewhere lol.... so really i have 18gbs in total

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    imported_The__One
    The HDD size is totaly related to the computer's use....for example, I use my main comp for kazaa stuff and ripping DVD's, as a result, I have a 180BG HD, with 10BG free....and then I have another comp with a 20GB HD, wich I use for other, less HDD and CPU demanding stuff (i.e: word processing ), and I always have about 3-5 BG free...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jibbler@5 April 2003 - 13:14
    You really won't be happy with the capture card until you get a bigger drive anyway. Encoding files to mpeg quality takes lots of time, and plenty of harddrive space. For example, a 30 minute TV show can take over a GB of space on your drive. From there, you can re-encode the file to shrink it down, but that takes even more space.
    depending on which capture card you get, i'd suggest one that does direct mpeg encoding , either through hardware or software ...

i'm using a WinFast GeForce4 Ti4200 VIVO , which allows you to encode real-time. Quality's not that good , of course , as compared to overnight encoding. But a decicated capture card ( like Snazzi) would do the job very well.

Real time Encoding :

Advantages : fast , dun need a large HDD ( depends on the quality you set )
    Disadvantages : average quality ... sometimes below average ( depends on your quality settings and processor )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast