Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting notebook to pc

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Then you will probably want a crossover cable to plug between your computer and the laptop's network cards.

you still ahven't mentioned if your modem is usb, ethernet, or something else.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Sorry m8 my modem is usb, just to keep you up to speed with whats going on at the minute I bought a crossover cable today and tried this out which worked, my firewall recognised the connection, I gave it permission and I transferred some files to my laptop(although I coul'nt seem to get connected to the internet on my laptop through my desktop. I think I'll look into wireless networking later as I'll be mainly using the laptop in another room from my desktop but for now is there anyway I can delete all my networking settings and start again with the cable as I did that much experimenting TBH I don't know where I'm at now and would just like to start again from fresh.
    Another query I have is will I need to set up two network connections because I need to be able to network my laptop with both my work pc and my home pc?
    All your help appreciated.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    When you say "will you", do you mean after you get a wireless connection or simply using a crossover cable?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I'm planning on just using the crossover cable for now and getting wireless later on.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Assuming your pc has only one ethernet port you will need some sort of ethernet switch (maybe as part of a router) to connect more than 2 computers together at the same time.

On the other hand if one of the computer has 2 ethernet ports it can be used as a network bridge and can connect all 3 computers together.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    I assumed you were talking about a home computer at home connected to the laptop, and when you go to work, to connect it to your PC there.

If that is the case, apart from carrying your crossover cable around, you just need to specify a workgroup on either PC, and then make the laptop join the correct workgroup depending on your location

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    So how do I clear my old network connection which Im not sure Ive set up right and start again from fresh?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    just run the net work setup wizard and it should redo all of the settings

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    cheers for that I did the network setup and changed a few settings, I still can't connect to the internet with my laptop, an efriend suggested I might have to enter the ip address of my desktop in the laptop( or other way round) so I can connect through my pc as host but was'nt sure how I got my computer i.p or where to enter it on my laptop, any help?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    job sorted with the cable wireless now being a major head ache

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12