Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: custom built PC

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    If you want to invest in the latest and are planning on getting an AMD, then socket 939 is the way to go.

This is not a performance issue either. It has to do with future upgrades. The socket 939 is probably going to be the type AMD will use when they release dual core processors. (AMD hasn't commited to it quite yet but industry insiders expect them to anounce this soon)

Any other style of CPU will deny you future upgrades once dual-core technologies become the norm. And dual-core, while slower clock speeds, will surpass the performance of any single-core CPUs currently available.(think of them as 2 CPUs in 1)
    Up to this point is ok, but quite frankly, the rest of this is total bollocks.

As far as PCI Express is concerned, it is the future but right now there are no video games that even take full advantage of its' throughput speed. I mean, there are other bottlenecks in a system that negate any performance gains to be had.
    The interface is simpler which reduces costs. Worth getting on that basis alone.

Also, a PCI-Express video card requires a seperate power connector as it doesn't get it's power from the mobo but directly from the power supply. This means buying a power supply with this capability($$).
    The PCI-Express graphics slot is just as capable of providing power to the card as AGP. Only the top end cards need extra power connectors, and that's just as much true for AGP as it is for PCI-Express.

For 99% of users out there, a mobo with an 8X AGP slot will be fine for many years to come.

As I stated earlier, the April issue of MaximumPC magazines addresses these very issues and most certainly is worth reading.
    Nearly ALL the new graphics cards worth buying are PCI-Express. Sure, the old models are still available and will be for some time, but in your first paragraph you were talking about getting socket 939 for future-proofing. The same applies to graphics cards. If you want to be able to go for the latest cards then PCI-Express is the way to go, even if you don't care about cost.

SATA, Serial ATA(as opposed to parallel ATA) is a different protocol of data transfer. The hard-drive you choose must be of the serial type and the mobo must be compatible with it. The power connector used is uniquely different then current parallel ATA hard-drives as well.
    Maxtor and Western Digital SATA drives will accept power from conventional connectors or the new SATA power connectors. Seagate only allow SATA power connectors. Others (including early Maxtor and WD SATA drives) only have conventional connectors. A power supply which has both has great benefits.

But, SATA drives are not very common yet and quite expensive relative to size. The only true performance benefit is a boot time in mere seconds and maybe faster video processing when editing. This is not to mention their much smaller capacity(the largest 10,000 rpm SATA drive is only 74Gb).
    SATA drives are now VERY common, and are available in exactly the same capacities as conventional Parallel ATA drives. There are a few expensive 10000 rpm drives (such as WDC Raptor) which have comparatively limited capacity, but that isn't the norm.

Please try to avoid posting things which are factually incorrect, it just causes confusion.
    Last edited by lynx; 03-11-2005 at 07:03 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I dont see anything about darkclown on newegg....wth lol But yeah, I wouldnt go with anything but a 64bit system now.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    I dont see anything about darkclown on newegg....wth lol But yeah, I wouldnt go with anything but a 64bit system now.
    that was a joke. darkclown was the guy who's always posting about motherboard problems and clocker or someone said the darkclown was the problem, not the motherboard or whatever it was he had problems with.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    If anything, pci-express is capable of supplying more power through the slot than agp. (@harycary)

Looking at for instance the 6600gt, it's fairly common that the pci-e cards don't have a molex when the agp version does.
    Last edited by Snee; 03-11-2005 at 01:38 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    If anything, pci-express is capable of supplying more power through the slot than agp. (@harycary)

Looking at for instance the 6600gt, it's fairly common that the pci-e cards don't have a molex when the agp version does.
    My 6600gt (AGP) doesn't have a molex.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Astounding.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    As you say the X300 is PCI-Express so you would need a PCI-Express mobo, it won't fit your current mobo.

But PCI-Express is replacing AGP for graphics cards, just like AGP replaced PCI a few years ago. Most new graphics cards are now PCI-Express, with a few of the higher spec Nvidia cards also available in AGP.
    PCI-X isnt stable yet. It wont be for a couple years I think.

Da Numba1Xclusive King

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1xclusive
    Please don't mention this to the owners of the four PCI-SLI systems we built last month.
    It would only confuse them.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1xclusive

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I seem to be coming up a lot in these topics thanks guys for metioning me
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo
    Athlon XP 1800+
    1 GIG PC3200 DDR400 RAM
    WINDOWS XP PRO WITH SERVICE PACK 2
    200GIG HARDDRIVE
    16X DVD-ROM
    DVD-BURNER
    EXTERNAL FLOPPY
    LIGHT IN CASE
    GEFORCE FX 5200 256MB