Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need mobo+cpu recomendation quick

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    ok £100 is my absolute limit. i need a mobo with agp and a processor; primary role is playing games.. any ideas

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    £100

Only problem is AMD 64 are what you wanna be getting now but they go above your budject by about £50 (including the mobo that is) but the Semperons i've heard are pritty shit and not worth even getting one. Intel are about £150 out of your bugject and are shit. Semperons are hardly gaming material, where as 64bit's are very powerfull.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    fuck the budget then. i just been checking maplin, it all seems more expensive than what i thought

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    whats a semprom 2400+ equivilent in pentium terms?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well in theory it would be a 2.4Ghz, however Mhz means jack shit. An L2 Cache is extremely important for gaming, im not sure why but it is, the bigger the better. I it has something like 256k L2 cache where as the 64bit chips have 1mb and 2mb L2 Cache.

I would susgest getting a 2800 64bit or if you can push for it a 3000 or 3200 64bit. Think though thats not just a 3.0Ghz intel chip but when 64bit Windows is released maintstream in about a year you get something close to a 33% increase.

Basically, if you want a pc that will be doing more than Internet & Email 64bit is your way to go, Intel is far to expensive for what you get and Semperons are more of a budget chip. if you can find an Athlon 2500 then get that as they are great for gaming and like £30, however they were discontinued a while ago and are quite hard to find. I think SnnY said he had found a place that had them

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    hmm. i think i gotta change the plan.

my aunt said what do you want for your birthday. i said my pc's going out of date so i need to upgrade. she asked how much and i said i need a "case, a processor and a motherboard. which are about £40 each"

she said she'd buy two and i could get the third.

atm i have a pentium 4 1.6ghz so i dont know if i could get a reasonable speed increase for £100

help me peerzy! you know more about this than me

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I would rape your Aunt of her £100 and save up for a few weeks untill you have a £150-£170 budget then buy a 64bit Cpu, a motherboard and maybe an extra stick of 512mb ram and game away. Or play sad to your aunt about how theres no point her giving you £100 because its not enough so she feels really bad and gives you more.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i'm thinking i could squeeze an extra few quid out but i dont know about a 64bit cpu

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well i don't know as much as i would like to but VB1234 recently brought a 64bit chip for the first time and he has done nothing but praise it. Maybe wait untill he posts for info on the best mobo and if the 3200 is that much better than the 2800 or 3000.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TheDave's Avatar n00b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast