Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP, Reformat?

Fire Fox Fan
    Well recently my friend upgraded to Windows XP from ME. After the upgrade he found out a LOT of his programs didn't work. Such as:

Firefox
    Thunder Bird
    CCleaner
    Ad-Ware

MSN Messenger works but it goes "fuzy" and "grey" at random times. He wants to Reformat his computer in order to solve the problem, but doesn't know how. Anyone care ta help?
    Last edited by summond_skull; 03-16-2005 at 07:28 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I didn't look carefully at the article but this should solve it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

Basically all you need to do is pop in the Windows XP cd, delete the partition that it currently is installed on and install from there, pretty simple.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    IMO, that was his mistake.

All the advices, I have heard regarding this issue, point towards a clean install... period.

If your friend is content with reformatting, then he should have no problems, at this point, with running the XP setup once more, this time choosing "new installation". Prior to that you can reformat the system using nothing more than XP's installation disk. I believe you want to press "F10" or "System Recovery" during start up before the current operating system loads. From there complete instructions are given.

If you wish to utilize another means, then simply perform a Google search. I entered "reformat" and "FAQ" into the engine as an example and this was returned as the first result:

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-...stall-faq.html

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    *Always* do a clean install, never an upgrade. I also find it is also better the slipstream service packs and do a clean install rather then install them in any other way.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001
    *Always* do a clean install, never an upgrade. I also find it is also better the slipstream service packs and do a clean install rather then install them in any other way.
    @Ariel_001 & Izagaia,

Good advice ! Also if Skulls friend had ran a compatibility check before the upgrade install ,xp would of warned him about problem's . With out knowing his system spec's , a clean install should fix it . Mabye he should copy his important files ,music, e-mail addies ,pic's and the like first . Burn to cd. Then its
    a piece of cake. Drivers should n't be a problem ,then again !

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Tehee, I like the way some people on this forum actual believe that there is a difference between a "clean" install and the upgrade version [of WinXP home].

Doing an "upgrade" install is a complete install and not an upgrade as it is called. It's a misnomer and shouldn't be called that. The only difference is that the "upgrade" version wants proof that you have a previous version of Windows. You do this by inserting the aforementioned CD and remove it. No data is taken from it, it's merely a validation check. Then continue with your format/install.

Back to the point, it almost sounds like a video driver issue as the Windows default driver has given me the same symptom on my last install. The problem went away after installing the latest video drivers.

regards,

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    Tehee, I like the way some people on this forum actual believe that there is a difference between a "clean" install and the upgrade version [of WinXP home].

Doing an "upgrade" install is a complete install and not an upgrade as it is called. It's a misnomer and shouldn't be called that. The only difference is that the "upgrade" version wants proof that you have a previous version of Windows. You do this by inserting the aforementioned CD and remove it. No data is taken from it, it's merely a validation check. Then continue with your format/install.

Back to the point, it almost sounds like a video driver issue as the Windows default driver has given me the same symptom on my last install. The problem went away after installing the latest video drivers.

regards,
    I mean to completely format :

During an upgrade, the Windows XP Setup Wizard replaces existing Windows files but preserves your existing settings and applications. Some applications might not be compatible with Windows XP Professional and therefore might not function properly after an upgrade. What are you talking about ? He saying that his programs don't work aswell or not at all.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Upgrading between versions is a waste of time IMO. The number of progs which have different installations depending on the base OS is too many for it to be a worthwhile proposition - obviously summond_skull's friend's problem.

On the other hand I see many people saying they are going to reformat and reinstall to gain their speed back. In this situation an Upgrade (as it is called if launched from windows) or Repair (as it is called if launched from boot disk) installation of the same version is quite acceptable. It completely rebuilds the registry yet keeps the settings for your apps. Since the main reason for loss of performance is a fragmented registry this usually meets the requirements.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Upgrading between versions is a waste of time IMO. The number of progs which have different installations depending on the base OS is too many for it to be a worthwhile proposition - obviously summond_skull's friend's problem.

On the other hand I see many people saying they are going to reformat and reinstall to gain their speed back. In this situation an Upgrade (as it is called if launched from windows) or Repair (as it is called if launched from boot disk) installation of the same version is quite acceptable. It completely rebuilds the registry yet keeps the settings for your apps. Since the main reason for loss of performance is a fragmented registry this usually meets the requirements.

Good point Lynx , Zapjb mentions this in his how to change pin thread . Might be a bonus for members who hav'nt done that yet ! But just a thought .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    My own outtake on all of this: I truthfully could care less on the "politically correct" terminology and definition of the actions and care more so on sheer implications that the "new installation" option of Windows XP usually (and logically) coincides and denotes having first wiped or deleted a previously "FUBAR'ed" OS installation partition that by all accounts is most likely considered "beyond the value of repairing".

So in that, I personally consider, something I would bet on every time to cure all of my system software ailments regardless of the problem's nature, without question or doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast