Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut power cables from PSu i dont use ????

Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    Hi,

i was wondering is it ok for me to snip the cable to a short length like my SATA cables i dont use and 6 pin aux i neva use. Im electrician have crimps and that if i eva need to use these again. They both on there own seperate rails and neva used. I was gonna snip them off and put connector blocks on the end is this ok to do ???????

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I cut some of mine off and have had no problems.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    What if you need them in future? Tie wraps work well.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernatural
    What if you need them in future? Tie wraps work well.
    Zap straps?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's usually a gap between mobo back panel and the outer case panel (assuming you've got a tower). It's a far better solution if you can hide them in there somehow.

If necessary cut a hole in the inner wall to feed the cables through, and line it with strip grommet. Easiest way is to drill 3 holes in a line with a 10mm drill, then link the middle hole to the outer 2 with a flat file, takes about 3 minutes.

The result is tidy wiring, with no permanent damage apart from one neat hole.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    lynx im doing that now when i get my new case will see how it goes its just new case has side panel and trying to make it all look nice and neat will see how it goes

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You need to keep the future in mind.
    Is this a PSU that will carry forward to another build or will it stay with this box forever?
    SATA will be the interface of ALL of your drives in the near future (optical as well as HDD) so removing the connectors effectively consigns the unit to this build.
    Those stupid 6-pin Intel connectors aren't even used on newer Intel boards either, so they are useless to almost everyone.

It's kinda amusing the amount of legacy crap that we are forced to deal with, your PSU is a good example.
    I was reading a review of a new motherboard where the author complained that there was only one IDE header (the board has 8 SATA ports).
    I wish the IDE was totally gone along with the floppy header too.
    Space on motherboards is already at a premium and losing those (relatively) large plugs would free up some valuable real estate and maybe make the arrangement of useful components more rational.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    I wish the IDE was totally gone along with the floppy header too.
    Yeah but how will you get access to the SATA drivers without the floppy?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My next board (Gigabyte, socket 939) presents the SATA drives to Windows as IDE...no floppy required. You load the SATA drivers after you're already in Windows.
    MS says that the next gen OS's won't require the F6 move anyway, SATA drivers will be packaged in the driver .cab (along with all the other useless crap that's already there).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    I don't see the big deal with SATA anyways. It offers little to no advantages over PATA in desktop solutions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast