Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Windows Messenger Acting Up

  1. #1
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    208
    When I usually go to sleep, I put my PC on standby. When I reload it, my resources suddenly get eaten up by an msmsgs.exe. I know thats Windows MEssenger, but I disabled it, because it was a pain in the ars. Anyone know what to do?

    Da Numba1Xclusive King

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1xclusive
    When I usually go to sleep, I put my PC on standby. When I reload it, my resources suddenly get eaten up by an msmsgs.exe. I know thats Windows MEssenger, but I disabled it, because it was a pain in the ars. Anyone know what to do?
    Do you actually want the shit on your P.C still or do you just want to kill it?

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,624
    Go to: Start > Run > type msconfig > click 'startup' tab > UNcheck 'msnmsgr' (and MsgPlus if it's there).

    Then open MSN Messenger and go to Tools > Options > click 'Preferences' tab > UNcheck 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts'. Also UNcheck 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background'.
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-20-2005 at 01:18 PM.



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    208
    I already disabled it, thats the funny part. I did the msconfig thing a while back, and it was fine. I dunno if I want to kill it, just make it stfu. It really j ust freezes my PC up like a faggot.

    Da Numba1Xclusive King

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger are two different programs. You say that you have disabled Windows Messenger, but that exe file thats eating all your processing power is for MSN Messenger, a program which you havn't disabled.


  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,616
    msmsgs.exe is windows messenger, peerzy
    now, msn messenger may run under the same executable
    hell if i know, beause i dont use it

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,532
    msnmsgr.exe is msn messenger

    not sure about older versions, i.e 4.7

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    24,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    MSN Messenger & Windows Messenger are two different programs. You say that you have disabled Windows Messenger, but that exe file thats eating all your processing power is for MSN Messenger, a program which you havn't disabled.
    msn messenger is called msnmsgr.exe
    msmsgs.exe is windows messenger.


    this only works in xp pro but try going to start>run>type 'gpedit.msc'>computer configuration>administrative templates>windows compnents>windows messenger>then there are two items on the list double click then enable each.
    worked for me.

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    46
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1xclusive
    I already disabled it, thats the funny part. I did the msconfig thing a while back, and it was fine. I dunno if I want to kill it, just make it stfu. It really j ust freezes my PC up like a faggot.
    Even though you may have disabled it, another program you installed may have created a second instance which runs on start up. I had that problem several times(NAV is notorious for that with it's messenger protection). Even some hardware will reactivate it, i.e. webcams, digital cams...... and even some online games.

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    numba1xclusive's Avatar Xclusive Gangsta
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    208
    Aha. I have NAV 2005,and it seems to eat my system resources for an AV.Does it really create a seperate instance, because if it does, i'll switch over to AVG or Kaspersky. Btw, its definately WIndows Messenger, because I dont use MSN Messenger, and it says msmsgs.exe.

    Da Numba1Xclusive King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •