Thread: Microsoft's new patch program

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5630384.html

I thought thats what windows auto update was.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I don't get it why instead of WU?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I don't get it why instead of WU?
    I don't think this is intended to be a replacement for WU... at least not yet, anyway.
    It looks like they want to offer patches to more of the M$ software range than just Windows and Office.

In its current form, Microsoft Update will capture updates to the SQL Server database program and Exchange e-mail and calendaring software, along with Windows and Office enhancements. Microsoft said it hopes to add support for more programs in the future.
    Microsoft said it will continue to offer its separate Windows Update and Office Update utilities for customers who prefer those options.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I have to believe that by referring to "customers who have out-dated versions of the program" that they are meaning businesses and corporate environments rather than the average household sectors of the Windows user base. These users of course being managed by their own network administrators which have a natural (and understandable) tendancy to roll-out updates only after they know of and test the impacts that these patches will bring to their networks. Most likely a slow process, I would imagine. I am also thinking that this move is geared toward those customers belonging to the MS Windows Advantage programs. I believe that I read something along the lines of the MS Update process utilizing the default OS ID check therein.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ya its bad a nought for the home user ! Can't image in an office setting , must be a nightmare .