Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Time Flying

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over

Tongue

Well on Sunday I’ll be flying for the first time in my life and I’m pretty nervous about it. I know that its no big deal and thousands of people do it everyday but for someone who’d never done it before it can be pretty nerve racking. Any suggestions or tips for making this easier are welcome.

I’m going to Chicago, St. Louis, and Atlantic City on a little get away for about two weeks, maybe more. This whole experience is about doing things I’ve always been afraid to do and flying is the main fear that I want to confront.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Make a will before you go, tell your friends how you'd like your funeral, what music to play, etc. Don't forget to carry an organ donor card. Have plenty of sick bags, and ask for an aisle seat so you can run to the toilet without climbing over someone. If the plane starts to crash, just remember, you chose to do this, don't start blaming people for your fiery death. Have a good trip, and remember, hundreds of people die in air crashes every year, so you won't be alone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    AussieSheila's Avatar Dazed & Confused

Just enjoy it. Take off is fantastic, pretend you are a racing car driver. Once you're in the air you could be anywhere. My grandmother didn't fly until she was in her 80's and then she was very sorry she had avoided it, she loved every minute. If your ears pop, hold your nose and blow through it. Ask for a coloring book and pencils.

Hardly any planes crash ... relatively speaking.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    Make a will before you go, tell your friends how you'd like your funeral, what music to play, etc. Don't forget to carry an organ donor card. Have plenty of sick bags, and ask for an aisle seat so you can run to the toilet without climbing over someone. If the plane starts to crash, just remember, you chose to do this, don't start blaming people for your fiery death. Have a good trip, and remember, hundreds of people die in air crashes every year, so you won't be alone.

Glad to see you back to being your self again

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieSheila

Just enjoy it. Take off is fantastic, pretend you are a racing car driver.
    Yeah, your fellow passengers will love it if you make a vroom vroom sound effect while doing so.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The flights you are taking are just like a bus journey. Enjoy it. Get a window seat if you can. If you dont like it you can pull down the blind. if you do like it you will see some wonderful sights as you fly over the flight paths you are taking. I have done those flights, it is a fantastic experience.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    There really is nothing to worry about, in fact to be honest it's rather tedious. Get a seat over the wings if you can as that's the most stable part.

The only really interesting parts are the take-off and landing with the feeling of acceleration and the bumping (which is perfectly normal). Shortly after take-off you will hear a worrying grinding noise, it's only the wheels being raised so no worry as long as you know what it is. You may also get a slight dropping feeling as you are climbing again it is nothing to worry about, it happens all the time.

Have some hard sweets to suck, that will stop you getting pains in your ears, due to the pressure differences.

Just watch the cabin crew, who do this every day. If they are calm and relaxed then everything is cool, no matter what you may think at the time.

Enjoy yourself.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I think most of the items I could say have already been answered

Before my family first went to the West Coast a few years back, we couldn't get my dad on a plane to save his life - But for some reason, we booked the trip as it was a change We had a look around the airport when we got there, looked at the planes at the gallery outside the gate. He ended up taking a window seat and watching the plane take off and land.

Now the only thing that we have more trouble getting him off are his beloved trains

Dunno about Atlantic City & St. Louis but Chigago O'Hare is a hell of an airport to go around. Other than that, use follow Sheila's advice on the air pressure (it's more an annoyance than anything) and JP's on the hard sweets & cabin crew.

And if you at any time worry about what happened in 9/11 happening to your flight, slap yourself silly for it. It can be a worry, but it was a one-off in hundreds of thousands of flights - And there's a better chance of being caught for filesharing than having a disaster on an aircraft

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Just a few hints:chew gum,yawn,clamp down with your teeth and release(prey you don't have a cold this can be the worst time for pressure changes).Bring some gravol in case of upset tummie...Drink lots of fluids it can become quite dry up there.But stay away from the coffee or tea,aircraft water systems are not the best .If drinking water make sure its bottled.Get up and stretch your legs.Keep your seat belt on when seated.Durring the safety demo pay attention.If they mention lifevests make sure its there under your seat.(if not tell the flight attendant they do fall out occasionally).Enjoy the flight think how long it would take to do the drive...My favourite part if your car was maintained as well as this aircraft it would look brand new for 30 years...When you leave the aircraft, maintenance pounces on it,from cleaning to checking the fluids its all done..Safest method of travel..

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I hate flying.

I have no control but I have to do it in the business I'm in.

They always say, "When it's your time to go, it's your time to go."

What about when it's the pilots time?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast