Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless networks

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Ahh right so I can network the pc's with this wireless set up,the wireless is set up to ad-hoc mode should be able to view shared folders in this mode? I tried bridging the connections but that did'nt seem to work but I'm not sure wether my wireless network and the network set up on cable and different controllers should have the same name, any help?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I still don't seem to be getting any further with this My current state of play is that I can connect my lap and desktop by a crossover cable and connect to the internet using my shared usb broadband connection from my desktop, My wireless connection is on both pc's and getting a good signal strength but does'nt allow me to view other workgroup users or connection to the internet, can any1 answer these questions so that I can narrow down the field of my settings...

1. I'm getting conflicting advice depending on which web site I visited last but can I leave my desktop on connected to the internet via usb modem and surf using my laptops wireless connection?

2. Should I be able to view the workgroups shared folders on a wireless connection?

3. If I can't use the shared folders through my wireless connection will I need to bridge my wirless connection and my ethernet connection?

4.When setting up my wireless connection should I give it the same name as my ethernet connection or use different names?

BTW I also tried after disabling my ethernet connection as per the windows networking troubleshooter trying to ping each computer in the network just to see if they could communicate with each other but they all timed out and no packets got through (no firewalls running while testing)

Any help appreciated I'm going mad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12