Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless networks

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Any help setting up a wireless network needed, I have a desktop with a d-link pci card installed connected to internet via usb modem and a laptop with built in wirless lan, I connect and share printers through both pc's with a network cable but when I try using wireless setup I connect, get good signal strength but nothing shows up in network places, please help tired of going round and round and round in circles. :crying:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by keyser_soze
    Any help setting up a wireless network needed, I have a desktop with a d-link pci card installed connected to internet via usb modem and a laptop with built in wirless lan, I connect and share printers through both pc's with a network cable but when I try using wireless setup I connect, get good signal strength but nothing shows up in network places, please help tired of going round and round and round in circles. :crying:
    What type of wireless router do you have?

So far I have only heard about the cards installed. Where's the router mang?
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-26-2005 at 10:09 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I have a d-link dwl-520+ in my desktop, from what I can make out if I leave my desktop running I should be able to connect to it and internet from anywhere in my house via laptop.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have a d-link dwl-520+ in my desktop, from what I can make out if I leave my desktop running I should be able to connect to it and internet from anywhere in my house via laptop.
    Dude....you need a router.

You to hook up a router to your desktop (you do not need a pci card). You can get a very good one for $20 in the states. I have a D-Link wireless router myself.

I have one desktop hook to it.

Another desktop with a wireless pci card

and 2 laptops with wireless cards

Since I have such a big backyard I've thinking about getting this new wireless with MIMO setup since it says it has about 8 times more range.

I like to sit out there on the computer.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Please don't tell me that I can't connect to the internet through my laptop with what I have pleeeaasseeeeeee My phone lines been down and I've done nothing but try and sort this out for 7 days (apart from the odd game of raven shield) Is this right though I need a router aswell? I noticed my isp is offereing a wireless modem with phone calls for £4 extra a month, hey I've just thought even though I would'nt get online should'nt I still be able to view my shared folder on desktop?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Please don't tell me that I can't connect to the internet through my laptop with what I have pleeeaasseeeeeee My phone lines been down and I've done nothing but try and sort this out for 7 days (apart from the odd game of raven shield) Is this right though I need a router aswell? I noticed my isp is offereing a wireless modem with phone calls for £4 extra a month, hey I've just thought even though I would'nt get online should'nt I still be able to view my shared folder on desktop?
    What you have on your desktop is the equivalent of what you have in your laptop.

They are used to jump on a wireless network not be it's backbone.

Are you in the states?

edit:nvm I see your profile
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-26-2005 at 10:58 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thats a bummer man I might try my isp's wireless setup rather than buy a router and see how that goes

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thats a bummer man I might try my isp's wireless setup rather than buy a router and see how that goes
    Dude, all that would be is a wireless modem with built-in router.

Routers don't even cost that much and you'll be able to connect multiple computers, wired and/or wireless.

You should also buy your modem instead of renting it.

I own a couple Motorolas.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You should also buy your modem instead of renting it.
    My modem is sort of bought I get it free with my BB contract but I'll check out some routers in UK most seem to be about the £50>£60 bracket.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you can connect from a wireless card to wireless card, its called ad-hoc mode.
    edit: but i beleive you can only get 11mbps over it, but if its only for the net, then its no problem

edit: you will probably have to bridge the conections on your desktop, and make sure you have sharing enabled on the wireless connection
    Last edited by Livy; 03-26-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast