Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I try to cancel AOL today...

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I used to use AOL (3 month free trial) and called to cancel today. I got ahold of some dude who can barely speak English, it went a bit like this:

Me: Yeah I wanted to cancel AOL.
    AOL: Ok is there any reason why?
    Me: Yeah I just switched to SBC Yahoo DSL.
    AOL: Ok, one moment please. What is the primary reason for this switch.
    Me: Um... I wanted a faster connection.
    AOL: Ok, you needed faster speeds, why? What do you do online?
    [Right then I think to myself "What the hell do you care?"]
    Me: Not much really... chat with friends, browse the web. (Pirate music )
    AOL: And... is that all? Why do you need great speeds?
    Me: I got tired of waiting for the pages to load.
    AOL: Ok, your free trial doesn't end until the 29th. In the meantime...

Blah blah blah blah blah. He kept talking about why I could pay for AOL for Broadband just because it has a firewall and anti-virus. I told him I had all that stuff for free already, he wouldn't shut up about AOL's firewall offers 7 layers of protection or something.

He tried to be sneaky, I would say "Sir I appriciate the offer but..." and he would rudely interrupt "Sir I'm not offering you anything. I'm just saying that most.... blah blah blah."

In the end he just wouldn't cancel my AOL service! He said to try their firewall for free and see how I liked it, I told him I would (yeah right), and call back if I don't like it (in about 5 min).

I could barely understand his accient and was annoyed so I gave in, crap they are persistant.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    sucker they tried that bs with me too but i kept refusing and jus told them there shitty services suk!

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Ok, I'm trying to cancel again, but no one is answering. Coincidence?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    yes same problem here, keep calling dude until you talk to someone without an accent.

My experience:
    switched to SBC Yahoo DSL
    1st attempt: the guy had no accent and said yes your account will be cancelled at the end of the month

check the credit statement and it says that we were billed for AOL for Broadband, wtf?

2nd Attempt: Dude with a latino accent I believe could tell but he said that everything will be taken care of and we have it under control and all that other bs

check credit statement agains says I have been billed for AOL Broadband again

3rd and finally attempt: it goes through to a nice women see gets it cancelled in minutes

But still they charged us for three months in which we didnt use AOL
    Last edited by dsa16; 03-27-2005 at 06:58 AM.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Just tell them that you want to cancel. When they try to ask you questions just ask for their supervisor. Once you get him on the line tell him straight out: "Cancel my service NOW!!!" Don't talk about anything but the cancelation of the service.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    yes that was my biggest mistake not asking for a supervisor

7. Lounge   -   #7
    There, finally after telling a second rep. I don't want AOL for Broadband, he canceled my AOL. Done with that.

They actually charge you for AOL on top of your DSL. Its like paying monthly for spyware/virus protection and a firewall. You can get all those for free off the web.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    @VB1234 and dsa16
    I was thinking about doing that, but I didn't want to sound rude. I'm too nice for that.

They nag you alot and become desperate.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    wow i dont know how you canceled aol so fast.... it took me a couple of days, each day they offered me new offers... i mean it was so hard for me not to accept... until i finally snapped and then just said "bitch imma cancle aol and go to yahoo and there's nothing you can do about!!!"

10. Lounge   -   #10
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Congrats on the connection upgrade Jack.

I applied for an ADSL connection on the 1st of this month.
    My ISP had me all set up within 5 days.

Trouble is Telstra, the company that runs the phone exchanges here in Australia are slack feckers.

My local phone exchange currently has 0 ports free for ADSL, and 384 ports awaiting the ADSL upgrade.

So me and 383 other people in my area are stuck with crappy dialup until Telstra gets off thier ass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast