Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance companies are gits

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I sit here cursing the perfidy of insurance companies. SGG was to fly out on holiday to San Fransisco tomorrow with her mum, but her travel insurance won't cover her for colitis which she was recently diagnosed with.

This is despite the fact that the tickets and insurance were bought months ago, long before the illness was diagnosed, yet they are not prepared to cover costs in the unlikely event that she might require treatment out there. To make matters worse British Airways and the insurance company (which they provided) do not appear to be on speaking terms.

I suspect that after much shouting and threats of legal action my ex will get some resolution regarding the tickets, but SGG's dream holiday is ruined. The disappointment coupled with all the needles, cameras down her throat (and elsewhere) have left her wrecked and depressed.

I would like to declare open season on travel insurance people (and possibly British Airways) and make rare use of the smilie because that is how I really feel. Bastards!
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Retired
    What/who is SGG?
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 03-24-2005 at 11:15 AM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    What/who is SGG?
    Spatulageekgirl, my daughter.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    What utter gits.

Poor SGG, please convey my sympathy.

I know that it's a bit of a cop out and extra expense, but isn't there some insurance company that are prepared to cover her for the duration of the trip, in order that she can still go?
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    What/who is SGG?
    Biggles' daughter, SpatulaGeekGirl, you know, the one who likes japanese transvestites so much.

Biggles, I've been through this (the colitis and shoving cameras thing) and I know how depressing and embarassing this kind of illness may be.
    A supportive family is what she needs (even if like all teenagers she will deny it most vehemently ).
    As for insurance companies, hot lead is what they need.

edit: must learn to type faster.
    Last edited by Guillaume; 03-24-2005 at 04:31 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    She says thanks Manker and Guillaume. She is watching TV to take her mind off stuff.

I don't know about other cover as it is her mum that is dealing with that side and the whole thing only really blew up yesterday when the consultant couldn't give the company the assurances they wanted (i.e. 0% chance of her having a flare up).

I do know she has had horrendous problems with the BA crowd. They will only deal with existing BA contracts between 2.30pm and 4.30pm and the staff are surly beyond belief. I personally think she should let the press the know if they continue in this fashion.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    I bumped this merely because I am still annoyed.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    So... No news from the BA gits?

SGG feelin' better?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Biggles, if SGG ever needs to talk about it, please let her know I'm here for her. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease a while ago, which is very similar in it's symptoms and treatment as colitis. It is nasty, embarrassing, depressing, and stressful, but very treatable if caught early. Proper diet, exercise and medication are all that's needed in most cases. Surgery is most times, a last resort. You do learn to cope and live a very normal life.

As far as the insurance company goes - I don't know what the laws are in Scotland. I do know that here, if you purchase insurance before an illness is diagnosed, they have no choice but to cover you for that illness. However, it would appear that this is different where you live. Register every complaint you can, and hopefully someone, somewhere will listen and do something.

SGG - Chin up!! You're a strong person, and you can make it through this.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Thanks Nikki,

I mentioned it to SGG I suspect she will chat at some point soon about it.

BA Insurers look like they will refund the ticket price (at the moment at least). I think their whole approach was highly questionable and if there had been more time probably have been made to honour their commitment. The tickets were bought last October.

She has steroids which appear to be giving her more energy (or at least hyper activity ) Plus she has other tablets. Here's hoping that it all stabilises quickly.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast