Thread: Worth an upgrade or not?

Poster
    This PC is about 4 years old. Apart from being slow it doesn't have any problems....well the sound doesn't work at the moment

Here are the specs. Is it worth an upgrade? Can you still find the parts for an upgrade this old?

BTW-UK based
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Your P3 700MHz machine is actually over 5 years old and it was probably "end-of-line" at the time of purchase, although I doubt Dell made that very clear.

It is unlikely that you can salvage much from it.

The drives could be re-used, if a little slow by todays standards, but I notice you are almost out of disk space anyway.

I don't suppose there's much wrong with the case itself except that it may not have enough ventilation, but I doubt whether the PSU would have enough output for a modern system.

External bits like the Keyboard, mouse, monitor and printers are obviously still useable, but unless they've been replaced at some point they may well be a little tatty by now. I suppose you can see that for yourself.

Other than that I would suggest the rest is simply ready for the skip.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I agree with Lynx, except for the reusing of the drives.
    Don't bother.
    You're old machine is worth more (if not monetarily, then at least for brownie points) as a whole.

Give it to some deserving kid or your grandma...they can discover the joys of PC use and you can move on up the ladder.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Bin it.