Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange Clock Problem

Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Or even 23 hours 59 minutes 57 seconds

D'oh. T'was what i ment :crying:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

Anyone ever seen anything like this? It is driving me nuts.
    Sure, it's actually very common.
    Replacing your CMOS battery might help, but if it doesn't there isn't much you can do to fix the problem, although there is a workaround to semi-correct it.
    This will allow you to change the frequency at which your clock is synchronized...default in Windows is once every 7 days, you can decrease the interval until the problem isn't noticable.
    Obviously, you must enable the Time Service again.

It's odd that the computer clock (in general, not just yours) is so bloody innacurate given how time sensitive communications over a network can be.
    I've read that domaine servers won't even accept requests from a machine who's clock varies from their own by more than 5 minutes.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    D'oh. T'was what i ment :crying:
    Actually, the Sidereal Day is 23 hours, 56 minutes 4 seconds

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    That's useful info to know as I was considering a move to Sidereal in the near future.
    How are the public schools there and is free parking available?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Sure, it's actually very common.
    Replacing your CMOS battery might help, but if it doesn't there isn't much you can do to fix the problem, although there is a workaround to semi-correct it.
    This will allow you to change the frequency at which your clock is synchronized...default in Windows is once every 7 days, you can decrease the interval until the problem isn't noticable.
    Obviously, you must enable the Time Service again.

It's odd that the computer clock (in general, not just yours) is so bloody innacurate given how time sensitive communications over a network can be.
    I've read that domaine servers won't even accept requests from a machine who's clock varies from their own by more than 5 minutes.
    I agree that general inaccuracies are very common. In actual fact though the clock chips have a mechanism built in to correct the inaccuracy, but it has rarely been used before the windows time service was introduced.

But none of that explains why the clock only goes wrong with DST in effect, it has been just about spot on for the last 5 months.

Thanks for the little prog, I actually analysed what it was going to do and changed it manually. While I was doing so I found all sorts of settings which the Windows Time Service uses, in theory to make the clock accurate, and I suspect one of these is at fault. I think I'll try to investigate what they do and possibly adjust them manually.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    There is no such thing as “5-10 min” behind. If it is constantly like that then you are setting it wrong or an app is causing the problem. Try turning on Internet time synchronisation. Here is a list of NTP you can try out.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q262680
    Last edited by Ariel_001; 04-04-2005 at 01:21 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001
    There is no such thing as “5-10 min” behind. If it is constantly like that then you are setting it wrong or an app is causing the problem.
    Oh yeah, I forgot how to set a clock, how silly of me.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I agree that general inaccuracies are very common. In actual fact though the clock chips have a mechanism built in to correct the inaccuracy
    Well yeah, they have to since we are dealing with cycles that include fractions and rounding to an even number is necessary.
    I believe the corrections are called "offsets" and ( much like leap years) compensate for the inevitable discrepancies that accumulate.
    Maybe the addition of such a large offset (one hour) is what throws the clock out of whack. If so, disabling the DST option and manually altering the time in BIOS might solve the problem.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Or even 23 hours 59 minutes 57 seconds
    actually its 23 hours, 59 minuits and 56 seconds.........

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    actually its 23 hours, 59 minuits and 56 seconds.........
    Actually, it's "minutes".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast