Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drugs

WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Jeez Soopaman!

Drugs kill. I know cigarettes and alcohol do too, but Lamsey was talking about drugs speciffically (spelling?).

Have you grown up where people around you are stealing to buy their fix?
    have you seen kids you've grown up with overdose?

If you have, you would agree with me and Lamsey.

NATURAL SELECTION!! Sad but true
    Natural selection!!!!!!! No way - these guys died cos they OD'd. The most recent guy actually OD'd cos he got depressed. Why? Cos he was addicted to drugs and as a result lost his friends, job, money and basically everything. Not natural selection.

Sorry if this post sounds like a lecture, but the subject really is close to home for me. I hate to see young people my age destroying their bodies and their future.

If any one wants to chat about it a bit more, feel free to PM me.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    insanebassman
    Most addiction is psychological. It takes will power to leave them behind. Most people who get into drugs do it for an escape, therefore they are weak willed. if you are weak willed, you are easily addicted. At this point, proof becomes academic. I have seen dozens of losers claim certain drugs are not addictive and then can not leave them behind.

I happily sip scotch and avoid enebration. Alchohol is severely addictive thus I keep my intake moderated. I was addicted to several drugs and regular smoking in my youth. I walked away from it all in one day and have not had the urge for any of them since, even when exposed to their continued use in my vicinity. I simply excorsized my will and decided not to use them. My poisons were pot, crystal meth, alchohol and nicotine. I no longer need any of them and it took less than a day to stop. I still drink occasionally and it does not make me burn like it did before the day I decided I was quitting.

so, yes there is proof that chemicals are addictive. Do not be ignorant.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Originally posted by WeeMouse@7 April 2003 - 17:22
    Jeez Soopaman!

Drugs kill. I know cigarettes and alcohol do too, but Lamsey was talking about drugs speciffically (spelling?).

have you seen kids you've grown up with overdose?

NATURAL SELECTION!! Sad but true
    Natural selection!!!!!!! No way - these guys died cos they OD'd. The most recent guy actually OD'd cos he got depressed. Why? Cos he was addicted to drugs and as a result lost his friends, job, money and basically everything. Not natural selection.

You are not being specific when you say "drugs". Which drugs? You can't be physically addicted to some narcotic substances so it's down to will power on those. Stuff like Heroin and Cocaine is different, you are right!! I have seen friends lives end in tragic drug related circumstances so I think I can comment with some authority (perhaps not the right word). My uncle was a heroin addict for nearly 20 years and robbed both my parents and grandparents houses. So I know what you mean. I'm guessing that you and Lamsey are quite young maybe your opinions will change over time. This subject has provoked some good posts - I hope it continues. B)
    Signature removed

4. Lounge   -   #24
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Lamsey and I are both 17.

It is a thought provoking post...but I know at least my opinions aren't gonna change - I don't want people to be killing themselves slowly and painfully!

Anyways, my mum and dad have drummed it into me from when i was really wee that if i took drugs, they'd kill me themselves before the drugs did! that may have affected my opinion a little...

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    woooo, another drugs thread, here I come:

I like to smoke a joint, I like to drink a pint of beer (or many pints of beer ) and I like to use other drugs once in a while.

About 1.5 year ago I used to smoke 2-3 joints a day, one day we ran out of weed and we didn't buy any after that. I had no trouble quitting.
    I go out every weekend and drink, well, quite a lot, to be honest. I don't wake up trembling and craving for beer the rest of the week.
    I have used hard drugs on regular bases, in a not so pretty period of my life. I can assure you that it wasn't fun at the moment, I went through a hell, but those drugs made me discover things about myself I had never known before (or maybe didn't want to know...).
    I still use stuff like speed and XTC occasionally. About 1-2 times a year. I don't have trouble keeping it with that and when I wake up I don't look for other drugs to take.

What I want to say is, that drugs can be fuin sometimes. If you're feeling ok, emotionally that is, it can be a fun way to see the world differently, explore new things. But then and only then. Drugs don't solve problems, they probably make it look worse than it is. There's a time and a place for everything and I don't regret taking any of them....

Peace

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Ex-member
    OK, time for some clearing up:

When I referred to drugs, I meant recreational drugs. I did not mean the narcotics which improve the health of millions of people daily - I wholly approve of them.

I read about the penis thing in New Scientist. I'd count that as pretty solid proof.

I realise that drugs can be an entertaining experience but in my view it is too much of a risk to go near them. There's a "just this once" for everyone but too often it doesn't stop there.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I'm pretty much the same as a few people here and a lot of people I know. I tried lots of drugs when I was younger, but now just stick to weed, alcohol and cigarettes. At the moment I don't drink an awful lot and I do want to give up cigarettes. I might do ecstacy every once in a while, but at the moment I haven't done it in over a year.

Personally I think there is a lot wrong with the law (in Britain at least, although Holland may have got it right), but I don't really want to get into that here, as I could go on for a while. A little note about "recreational" drugs though - just because they are legal doesn't make them any better for you. Many people have far more trouble (addiction, ill health etc.) with prescription drugs than they do with illegal drugs. Painkillers and anti-depressants can do a lot more harm to a person's mind and body than marijuana ever could. Also, a lot of prescription drugs use similar chemicals - dieting pills that are handed out to people just cos they want to lose some weight are basically just speed in a pill - so the law is no kind of gauge as to how dangerous any drugs are.

Soopaman got it right - you can't just talk about drugs and include everything. There are many kinds of drugs out there and they can be fun, beneficial or dangerous depending on how you use them - as with anything in life, moderation is the key.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    oldmancan's Avatar Poster
    Master YodaX

Nice pic, but how do you light the stuff? Is that a glass or a pipe? If the pipe stem is not connected to the glass, perhaps your not being completely honest? Maybe that is a separate pipe and you just don't consider what goes into it as a drug.

Just making fun of the picture not the post or topic.

It's a serious subject regardless of ones personal stance.

Back in the day....Nope, don't want to go there.

Couple of thoughts though...

...people should be encouraged to allow their bodies/minds to develop without drugs (recreational/abuse). Adults should choose intelligently, kids should be protected, and teens should be informed/educated and given something better to do until they finish developing.

...some people have addictive personalities and are going to get into trouble regardless of what they try.

...God made grass, man made booze, who you gonna trust?

...Chemicals kill

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Originally posted by soopaman+7 April 2003 - 11:35--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soopaman @ 7 April 2003 - 11:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--WeeMouse@7 April 2003 - 17:22
    Jeez Soopaman&#33;

have you seen kids you&#39;ve grown up with overdose?

NATURAL SELECTION&#33;&#33; Sad but true
    Natural selection&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; No way - these guys died cos they OD&#39;d. The most recent guy actually OD&#39;d cos he got depressed. Why? Cos he was addicted to drugs and as a result lost his friends, job, money and basically everything. Not natural selection.

You are not being specific when you say "drugs". Which drugs? You can&#39;t be physically addicted to some narcotic substances so it&#39;s down to will power on those. Stuff like Heroin and Cocaine is different, you are right&#33;&#33; I have seen friends lives end in tragic drug related circumstances so I think I can comment with some authority (perhaps not the right word). My uncle was a heroin addict for nearly 20 years and robbed both my parents and grandparents houses. So I know what you mean. I&#39;m guessing that you and Lamsey are quite young maybe your opinions will change over time. This subject has provoked some good posts - I hope it continues. B)[/b][/quote]
    Please see the following definition for the word "narcotic".

Narcotic &#092;Nar*cot"ic&#092;, n. (Med.)
    A drug which, in medicinal doses, generally allays morbid
    susceptibility, relieves pain, and produces sleep; but which,
    in poisonous doses, produces stupor, coma, or convulsions,
    and, when given in sufficient quantity, causes death. The
    best examples are opium (with morphine), belladonna (with
    atropine), and conium.
    Nercotykes and opye (opium) of Thebes. --Chaucer.
    From WordNet &reg; 1.7 [wn]

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Comes out of the wood work...
    I hate to lend an authoritative voice to the discussion, but this is my field of study/work whatever you want to call it. The amount of disinformation about drugs among the populace is sometimes quite scary.
    So...

LSD...dosage plateaus in effectiveness at 500mics, impossible to OD
    ...possible to bring out latent psychosis tho

Marijuana...short term temporary memory impairment, motor ataxias of varying degrees dealing with potency, but nothing permanent, tumor reducing agent, also inability to OD, lab rats fed excessive (and by excessive, I mean the point was to give them a toxic dose) were found to be healthier than control rats years later. Long term brain damage: 0

Cocaine...overexcitation in dopaminergic circuits, cardiac stress, will eventually lead to psychosis, pretty bad stuff
    mixed w/alcohol... forrms cocaethanol, longer half-life than cocaine itself lengthening the SNS stress and causing plaque build-ups in the brain, really bad stuff

MDMA...interesting chem, possible serotonin axonal terminal damage (meaning possible brain toxicity), unable to be proven in humans as of yet, though lab animals show definite results. Behavioral side effects include loss of aggression, possible post use depression lasting anywhere from a couple days to a week, lowered levels of serotonin metabolite

Tobacco...nictonic acetylcholine agonist, meaning neuromuscular as well as cardiovascular stress not to mention carcinogens, number one cause of death in the world&#33;

Alcohol...depletion of thiamine in brain leading to plaques, possible irreversible memory loss: Korsakoff&#39;s syndrome, a host of other probelms due to GABA level fluctuations, liver problems, etc.

This is just a brief overview. I only really included negative side effects to show a point, many of these substances have a myriad of positive effects as well. Safety-wise (as far asa our bodies are concerned), it seems that phenethylamines (mescaline, DOB, 2-CB, etc.) and tryptamines (LSD, psilocybin, DMT) are the best bet. I don&#39;t, however, condone the use of such as strong psychadelics as they can have profound psychological ramifications and most are illegal on most regions of the world.

If anyone would like a more in-depth analysis on a particular substance, I&#39;d be happy to provide it

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast