Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Drugs

Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Nice to have an educated view on the subject - it's a shame this type of information never goes so far as to reach schools instaed of the "Just Say No" attitude that is dominant.

Also interesting to note is that of the three that seem to have the worst effects of all in the list, two are legal and even encouraged through advertising.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Why do drug addicts always try to persuade other people to try drugs? I think what they're really trying to do is convince themselves that drugs are okay. And I'm tired of always hearing them say "If it feels good and no one gets hurt, what's the problem?" The problem is that they are hurting others. What about the families of the drug users. I grew up in a home with an addict so I can tell you first hand, it's not fun. What about all the victims of drug related crimes? No matter how much they deny it, the bottom line is that drugs are bad. Period. Lamsey and WeeMouse have a very mature understanding of the many negative effects of drugs, and they should be commended for that - not chastised! I know a lot of people in their thirties and fourties who still haven't figured out that drugs are bad for them, and bad for society as a whole. And yes I'm talking about all drugs. I think too many people look to drugs as a quick fix for every little problem. If you're overweight...take a pill. If your depressed...take a pill. If your kid's too hyper...give him a pill. When are people going to grow up and get over this 1960's 'take drugs and you'll feel better' mentality? It's just an illusion, and sooner or later reality always comes crashing back down on you.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    I didn't even get into the scary stuff like...Saren, that nerve toxin that everyone is freaked out that Iraq might have, the same one used on a Tokyo subway a couple of years ago, is widely used in agrobusiness as a pesticide.
    But that's another can of worms...

Psychadelics don't even meet the traditional requirements (high abuse potential, lack of accepted safety for medical use) for a schedule one substance in the US, but are still right up there. While other substances that do meet the requirements like..say..alcohol and tobacco are not scheduled substances. Wonder why that is...

The reason people don't get better education concerning the subject is that the backers for things like the "Just Say No" program and Partnership for a Drug Free America are primarily funded by Tobacco, Alcohol, and pharmaceutical companies. Propaganda at its finest.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Originally posted by Nightwolf^.`.^@7 April 2003 - 23:36
    I think too many people look to drugs as a quick fix for every little problem. If you're overweight...take a pill. If your depressed...take a pill. If your kid's too hyper...give him a pill. When are people going to grow up and get over this 1960's 'take drugs and you'll feel better' mentality? It's just an illusion, and sooner or later reality always comes crashing back down on you.
    Some drugs are used as a long term pattern of treatment so can't exactly be regarded as a "quick fix". The "take-a-pill" mentality goes back further than the 1960's. I think the Victorians popularised the idea and it went ballistic when AntiBiotics were discovered so I'd read up on it if I were you before making huge generalisations.
    Where's your evidence that it's an "illusion" ?? All the drugs I've tried have been real, as have the effects. I knew what I was doing and what I was putting into my body so don't criticise me for that please. What is reality anyway? Actually don't answer that we could be here forever. It's sad that most people still think of drugs as HEROIN or CRACK or any of the more notorious ones. There are many, many drugs out there and I've tried quite a few of them. Over a period of more than 10 years I only ever had one bad time and I think that was more due to the amount of booze I'd drunk. My point is they ain't ALL bad when taken in moderation. Drug users can be successful and hold down responsible jobs and keep their families together. Drug addicts can't. There's a BIG difference!!

Keep on Keepin' on.
    Signature removed

5. Lounge   -   #35
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    You know what? This weekend i found out my brother gets high off of Computer dusting spray, the kind u spray in the can?

Fucking stupid...

6. Lounge   -   #36
    @Nightwolf, I can partially agree with your sentiment. Addicts, by definition of the word, are necessarily negatively affecting theirs and other lives.
    However, most drug users are not addicts. There's also a problem with people's understanding of medical pharmacology. I don't know how to easily explain this, but I'll take a stab at it. There is no substansive qualitative difference between taking a medication for a cold and taking one for depression or any other so-called mental disorder. Why? Well, they are both based in physiological reactions. People show lower rates of relapse and faster recovery rates from depression when taking an antidepressant medication accompanied by therapy than with therapy alone. If you think that's a bad thing, I'm sorry.
    I will agree that there is a prevalent trend towards overmedication in our society at present which is causing innumerable problems from more reactive virii to higher rates of substance dependancy. That doesn't mean that there isn't a place for drug use in society, it merely points toward adopting a more responsible drug use policy.
    Here's one to really think on, reality is subjective and therefore an illusion however close to the truth.
    Psychadelics, in moderate use, have been shown to lower depression and anxiety rates, help with chemical addictions, promote higher levels of internal understanding, and facilitate creating emotional bonds among people.
    If you feel that drug use, no matter the circumstance, is wrong, please illuminate your reasoning for such an OPINION and justify it with supporting data.

@Schmiggy
    Yes, huffing aerosol cans is fucking stupid.

edit: spelling

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster
    Drug users can be successful and hold down responsible jobs and keep their families together. Drug addicts can't. There's a BIG difference!!
    You cannot be a drug addict if you are not a drug user. Simple, no? Do you think drug addicts choose to be addicts?

Where's your evidence that it's an "illusion" ?? All the drugs I've tried have been real, as have the effects.
    These so called "mood altering drugs" by nature alter your perception of reality. So if that's the case then how can you still know for sure what you are doing to yourself?

@Lamsey and WeeMouse, I congratulate you both in your views on this matter. You will go far with that approach. Keep it. It's of great value in todays society and for your life goals.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    UKMan's Avatar Poster
    Stay off of drugs/cigarettes/alchohol.
    Boring - yes
    Life expectancy - greatly increased
    Health - much better
    Wallet - much better economy

Believe me, ive been there, done that - i regret it and cant stop!

Goodbye.
    Peace
    UKMan

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by lurker@7 April 2003 - 21:52
    If you feel that drug use, no matter the circumstance, is wrong, please illuminate your reasoning for such an OPINION and justify it with supporting data.
    You're right, it is my opinion that drugs cause more harm than good, based on my own personal life experiences. I really don't care if you agree with it or not. My only reason for sharing is to let any kids out there know that it's OK to be against drugs, contrary to the constant message of "If it feels good, do it" that they seem to get from most of society. Just like Lamsey and WeeMouse, I am constantly bashed and insulted for having such a 'radical' belief. But if I can convince just one person to quit, or better yet never even start, then it's all worth it.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    I'm not saying that you shouldn't try to convince someone to quit, I would just like justified reasons why one should quit a particular substance.

I'm not unilaterally pro or con drug use. I do wish that people would make INFORMED decisions. I think that people will be more apt to make intelligent decisions regarding whether they should use a substance if they are aware of the consequences as well as the possible benefits. I'm just saying that I think more people would choose not to do let's say E even though it will make them "feel good" if they knew about its neurotoxicity, rather than simply being told not to do it.

@somebody
    however, not all drugs have addictive properties. Also, I absolutely agree, people can make decisions they regret while under the influence of a chemical.

@UKman
    I agree, as a rule-of-thumb staying away from most substances will lead toward better health. Hope you're eating organic -else you might want to consider a Deprenyl supplement
    oh and avoid mint too, it's a dopaminergic toxin

Finally: Lamsey, Weemouse, Night I support you in your abstinence

if anyone wants more info on various drugs, check out www.erowid.org

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast