Thread: Printers

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    My technophobe boss at work wants me to get hold of a printer that does dot matrix printing onto triplicate paper (the stuff with the holes in the edges) and that can do normal colour printing on A4, at the minute we use two printers on 1 pc that has a switch between them, is there such an animal and where could I get 1?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    We use Okidata, at my work for printing invoices , and three part picking tickets . They seem to be one of the best.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/dot_matrix_printers.cfm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    cool, I'm afraid printer stuff does'nt mean a lot to me do any oh them there printers do the dot matrix and standard printing?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    It's probably a pain in the ass changing paper all the time . The dot printers have colour ribbions made of cloth not cheap either. You probably have the best of both worlds now with the set up you have. Check out a Business Depot type store in your area. The dot printers last forever tho and are cost effective doing the three part stuff.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've always liked the Okidata Microline series. They are excellent printers but dot-matrix is getting a little dated.

Why not consider the new Okidata C3100 Colour "Laser"?
    http://europe.oki.com/fcgi-bin/publi...hid=1&prid=474
    I got one last week for £299 (plus taxes) with £75 money back offer. Last Wednesday they came down to £199, but no money back. Not sure if they are available in US/Canada yet though.

Be warned though, you need a lot of space for one of these babies, and don't expect to be able move them around easily, they are HEAVY (25kg); anyone got a back brace?

At that price for a single pass 20ppm (12ppm colour) printer you can't go wrong. If you really need 3 copies, just set the default number of copies to 3 on your printer settings. But you may be surprised how soon you find out you don't actually need 3 copies of everything.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    But you may be surprised how soon you find out you don't actually need 3 copies of everything.
    Unfortunately the 3 copy thing is neccasary, the invoice sheets are in triplicate and different colours depending on which department gets a copy, thanks for the advice though I can see how a printer that does both could be a logistical nightmare but just thought there might be an affordable answer out there, I'll let him know its probably easier just carrying on with the system we have, another thing we might be able to do is connect each printer to 2 separate pc's and network the pc's then every1 has access to both..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Or set up a wise network you don't need another pc .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    or get a print server, you can get one with a few printer ports on them, or you may need to get 2 seperate ones if ones usb and the other parallel.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Cheers for all the advice much appreciated I'll tell him to get his hand in his pocket 2morrow, bout time.