Thread: Best free HD cloning software?

zacspeed's Avatar Pheasant plucker
    Been asked to put a new HD into mates PC soon, & he wants me to transfer all his stuff (including O/S) from the old drive to the new one. What's the best free software I can use to acheive this task? I did a brief search, but there seems to be squillions available out there, any one here had experience with particularly good/easy to use ones?
    Ta.
    z.
    PS - it's running '98 SE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Norton Ghost,

its not free but its free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thedazman's Avatar WaReZeR
    install both of the hard drives into the new computer, if you can (new and old hard drive) and boot up with the old drive, then transfer all the files to the new drive after booting up, then you can take out the old drive

But the best known and easiest to use piece of software, i would have to agree with Peerzy. Norton Ghost. Im sure you will be able to get a free trial of it, so you can do what you have to do, and then never use it again

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Nope disagree. The best but again not free is Acronis MigrateEasy. By far!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ive used Norton 2003 for some time and did not like Norton 9.0 due to issues although Ive heard Acrions is very good and as for freeware someone once mentioned to me somrthing called Casper although Ive never tried it...
    Last edited by RealitY; 04-16-2005 at 06:07 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    Nope disagree. The best but again not free is Acronis MigrateEasy. By far!!!
    yes, Acronis pwns Norton
    (just MHO)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Where I go shopping for puters ,the shop installs Ghost for me . Everyone seems to want a dvd rw, so I setup and ghost the drive for them. Can't belive how simple it is.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Try looking for Hiren BootCD. It's the best and has all the tools to do what ever.