Thread: Mammoth Resurrention.

worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    Woolly Mammoth Resurrection, "Jurassic Park" Planned

Stefan Lovgren
    for National Geographic News

April 8, 2005
    A team of Japanese genetic scientists aims to bring woolly mammoths back to life and create a Jurassic Park-style refuge for resurrected species. The effort has garnered new attention as a frozen mammoth is drawing crowds at the 2005 World Exposition in Aichi, Japan (see photo).

The team of scientists, which is not associated with the exhibit, wants to do more than just put a carcass on display. They aim to revive the Ice Age plant-eaters, 10,000 years after they went extinct.

Their plan: to retrieve sperm from a mammoth frozen in tundra, use it to impregnate an elephant, and then raise the offspring in a safari park in the Siberian wild.

"If we create a mammoth, we will know much more about these animals, their history, and why they went extinct," said Kazufumi Goto, head scientist at the Mammoth Creation Project. The venture is privately funded and includes researchers from various institutions in Japan.

Many mammoth experts scoff at the idea, calling it scientifically impossible and even morally irresponsible.

"DNA preserved in ancient tissues is fragmented into thousands of tiny pieces nowhere near sufficiently preserved to drive the development of a baby mammoth," said Adrian Lister, a paleontologist at University College London in England.

Furthermore, Lister added, "the natural habitat of the mammoth no longer exists. We would be creating an animal as a theme park attraction. Is this ethical?"

2. Lounge   -   #2
    *goddess*'s Avatar Oh bugger BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I thought you had some major 'anal retention' for a minute there

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Ethical, what is not ethical about it?

Animals are basically worse than retarded.

They want to eat, sleep, drink and fuck, everything else is lost to them.

Now if we don't let them dry hump something, that would be unethical.
    Last edited by hobbes; 04-13-2005 at 12:17 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    i bet they are really delicious, since man ate them all the first time, remember fred flintstone getting BBQ mammoth ribs at the drive-in :p
    i thought i read somewhere that there are still some close relatives to the mammoth still living on an island off siberia, and they were gonna use some of thier DNA for any missing mammoth DNA that was needed to create some.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Ethical, what is not ethical about it?

Animals are basically worse than retarded.

They want to eat, sleep, drink and fuck, everything else is lost to them.

Now if we don't let them dry hump something, that would be unethical.
    We are all animals. Sorry you prove your point every day.
    Last edited by bigboab; 04-13-2005 at 07:42 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Bullshit.Scientist talk shit but they cant back shit up.Scientist are useless they cant agree on anything.This kind of remindes me of "AI" when the aliens revive the humans
    Last edited by ziggyjuarez; 04-13-2005 at 08:54 AM.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    wacko jacko's Avatar THE KING OF POP
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyjuarez
    Bullshit.Scientist talk shit but they cant back shit up.Scientist are useless they cant agree on anything.This kind of remindes me of "AI" when the aliens revive the humans
    scientist are workin around the clock 24/7 in hopes to rebuild me my 20 yr old face i hope they hurry

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Oh it will be so good to have some mammoth to eat again,I wonder if they'll try to revive the Dodo or the Tasmainian tiger yummee

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.