Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: British Lions Squad

  1. #1
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    I am given to understand that the squad is made up of something like

    English 20
    Irish 12
    Welsh 10
    Scottish 3

    Now I can understand the Scottish thing, not really that many players who could get in.

    However the Irish and particulalry the Welsh must be pretty pissed off.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but the league ended up

    Wales 10
    France 8
    Ireland 6
    England 4
    Scotland 2
    Italy 0

    Wales won the Grand Slam FFS, England were 4th, how can the English have twice as many players in the Lions Squad.

  2. Sports Club   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I wear an Even Steven wit
    Posts
    44,031
    As you can imagine, the Welsh media are not happy, I've read a number of articles since the squad was announced and while most commentators are angry at the selection - not many are surprised. Woodward was always going to stick with what he knows - and that isn't open rugby with flair players.

    Jon Wilkinson not getting picked - at least for now - took a lot of heat off Woodward, this event took the focus off the other 20 Englishmen that got picked. I follow rugby a fair bit and I have never heard of some of the English forwards that are going. Who the feck is Andy Titterall

    I can understand that a lot of English forwards would go - their scrum was particularly good, mainly due to Phil Larder but the England backs are mediocre, save for Jason Robinson, if on form (which he isn't), and Josh Lewsey. Ian Balshaw, Ollie Smith and Charlie Hodgson are not fit to lace the boots of some of the guys who missed out.


    I think Woodward is trying to win the world cup again. I'm not sure he realises how lucky England were to win it in the first place, sure it was a magnificent acheivment but they were outplayed several times in the tournament. His tactics will be exactly the same for this Lions tour as it was in 2003 -- A huge, muscular pack dominating the forward exchages and a back line who cannot run but are excellent tacklers. Points will come from the boot or not at all.



    On current form the back line should be 15. G. Thomas, 14. Shane Williams. 13. B. O'Driscoll, 12 G. Henson (or T. Shanklin) 11. D. Hickie 10 S. Jones 9. D. Peel.

    By the first test I imagine only the half back pairing and the captain will get the nod.


    Btw, JP. I thought that Scottish full back, Paterson, should definitely have gone instead of the awful Balshaw. He had a good Six Nations.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

    --Good for them if they survive.

  3. Sports Club   -   #3
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia N.S.W
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,790
    johhny wilkonson is all they had most over rated player ever rugby league players shit all over him union well league wil alwasy be better hehehe

  4. Sports Club   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I wear an Even Steven wit
    Posts
    44,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster
    johhny wilkonson is all they had most over rated player ever rugby league players shit all over him union well league wil alwasy be better hehehe
    When fit Wilkinson is the finest outside half in the world.


    It would be difficult for him to fit into a RL team but then it was difficult for RL glory boy Iestyn Harris to fit into a union team. Doesn't mean that Harris got shit all over, just that their respective skills are more suited to a particular code.

    In general tho' RL players are a bit tougher than union players
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

    --Good for them if they survive.

  5. Sports Club   -   #5
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia N.S.W
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,790
    well my point being Andrew Johns who is the greatest league player in the world if they put him in Union he would be 100 times better then jonny johnny just doesn't have the skill factor in setting up trys

    Look at the australian Union team 4 former league players!! Sailor, Taquiri Matt Rogers and Walker

  6. Sports Club   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I wear an Even Steven wit
    Posts
    44,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster
    well my point being Andrew Johns who is the greatest league player in the world if they put him in Union he would be 100 times better then jonny johnny just doesn't have the skill factor in setting up trys

    Look at the australian Union team 4 former league players!! Sailor, Taquiri Matt Rogers and Walker
    Who knows if he would be a more effective outside half than Wilkinson, or even Stephen Jones, since he's never tried but it is highly unlikely. I already mentioned Iestyn Harris, who was the most skilful RL player in Britain - he joined Cardiff yet he struggled to get into a very poor Welsh side and made little impact despite being here for almost three years.

    Johns is a brilliant RL player but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be a great union outside half. Sailor and Taquiri are wingers and Rogers is a full back - and isn't Andrew Walker the cokehead that doesn't even play that much. He's the only Walker I've heard of, anyway.

    Those positions mainly require a player to run fast. Wales had a former hurdler playing on the wing a few years back and he did okay(ish), full back is slightly different but tactically and regarding the influence on the game, there is no comparison to playing outside half.

    There is no direct RL equivalent to outside half so Johns would have to learn a whole new position in a different sport. Wilkinson would get in any union team before he would, despite Johns obviously having more talent.
    Last edited by manker; 04-14-2005 at 02:59 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

    --Good for them if they survive.

  7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,804
    Like J'Paul I didn't expect too many Scots in the squad. I kind of thought 6 or 7 when I heard he was taking 44. I must say I didn't expect him to take some of England's B and C team. Plus he has left the door open for the three injured English players to join the squad later.

    I think Patterson, who had a pretty good 6 Nations, and Tom Smith and Jason White have a right to feel a bit peeved. Scott Murray was borderline as he didn't have a great 6 Nations but he is still a good player.

    It spoils the whole balance of what a Lions team is about doing what he has done.

    Given his selection, the A team for the full tests should be 90% Welsh and Irish (but I bet they won't be )
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum


  8. Sports Club   -   #8
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia N.S.W
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,790
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Who knows if he would be a more effective outside half than Wilkinson, or even Stephen Jones, since he's never tried but it is highly unlikely. I already mentioned Iestyn Harris, who was the most skilful RL player in Britain - he joined Cardiff yet he struggled to get into a very poor Welsh side and made little impact despite being here for almost three years.

    Johns is a brilliant RL player but that doesn't automatically mean he'll be a great union outside half. Sailor and Taquiri are wingers and Rogers is a full back - and isn't Andrew Walker the cokehead that doesn't even play that much. He's the only Walker I've heard of, anyway.

    Those positions mainly require a player to run fast. Wales had a former hurdler playing on the wing a few years back and he did okay(ish), full back is slightly different but tactically and regarding the influence on the game, there is no comparison to playing outside half.

    There is no direct RL equivalent to outside half so Johns would have to learn a whole new position in a different sport. Wilkinson would get in any union team before he would, despite Johns obviously having more talent.

    Finally found someone else on thsi Boad besides celery that has soem knowledge of Rugby League!!! and isn't form Australia!!

    ohh yeah Andrew Walker yes he was a cokehead went back too league last year to play for Manly and ummmm yeah got busted for Coke and retired

    he was a pretty good player though in both codes

  9. Sports Club   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I wear an Even Steven wit
    Posts
    44,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster
    Finally found someone else on thsi Boad besides celery that has soem knowledge of Rugby League!!! and isn't form Australia!!
    Maybe but I still don't wanna talk about the GB/Aussie test series

    Btw, the GB captain, Andy Farrell is joining union side Saracens. It will be interesting seeing how he gets on but the England coach is on about him playing in the centre

    Typical bloody English thinking.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

    --Good for them if they survive.

  10. Sports Club   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I wear an Even Steven wit
    Posts
    44,031
    At last, Woodward has called up a Welsh replacement for an injured player. Ryan Jones will be an excellent addition to the squad and should have been there anyway ahead of Neil Back.

    Getting Simon Shaw, who hasn't played test rugby for over a year, to join the touring party ahead of Welsh locks Cockbain and Sidoli was an appalling call by that biased English twat.

    Well, he is
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

    --Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •