Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsleecher question

After trying Grabit and being dissapointed by the constant crashes, I tried Newsleecher, and it seems ok, if only a little messy. Anyway, how do you make it download several articles at once? Right now, it just downloads one at a time, and I can't find any option to increase it. Anyone? Their homepage is down, so I can't ask over there.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Just click and drag your mouse over the files you want to download,then right-click and select 'Leech'.

Is that what you mean?

Or do you mean when already downloading,you want it to dl one file and already start with another one?

If so,you'll have to connect to the server with multiple connections.
    But I think it also depends on how big the files are.
    If they're bigger than xbytes it will only dl them one at the time.
    Not sure though.

hmm...asspie

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz
    Or do you mean when already downloading,you want it to dl one file and already start with another one?
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz
    If so,you'll have to connect to the server with multiple connections. But I think it also depends on how big the files are.
    If they're bigger than xbytes it will only dl them one at the time.
    Not sure though.
    Very wierd. With GrabIt, this was extremely easy. I just checked as many checkboxes as I wanted connections. That newsleecher doesn't have this functionality seems very strange.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    But you have got your server details set to use multiple connections right?

If so I would assume that it would dl more than one file at a time if possible.

hmm...asspie

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Aaaahhh! There it is, thank you very much!

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Ok, now I've got another one that I can hopefully get an answer to. The groups I subscribe to keep downloading all the headers from time to time when I select "Update group", even though I have recently updated it before. What could cause the program to "forget" which headers I have already downloaded and discarded?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I think you'll have to change some settings in your options.

View > Options > Group caching and Headers
    Have a look around there

hmm...asspie

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    So I have to keep all the headers? So let's say my usenet provider has 20 days retention, then I have to set the "Days to keep group headers" to 20? And what about "Download IDs? I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but Newsleecher's site has been down the last few days so I can't get any help there.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    So let's say my usenet provider has 20 days retention, then I have to set the "Days to keep group headers" to 20?
    Yes
    And what about "Download IDs?
    Same as the headers.

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but Newsleecher's site has been down the last few days so I can't get any help there.
    No problem.
    It's not the first time their site goes offline and they don't send out any notices to their subscribers

hmm...asspie

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Unfortunately, setting "Days to keep group headers" to 20 doesn't help. I just double-clicked a group to update it, and it started to download 4 000 000 headers, the oldest ones are 23 days. This is a group that I updated, and cleared earlier today. This program seems quite buggy.
    Last edited by Oddish; 05-30-2005 at 09:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast