Thread: Audio crackles / distorted help

Hey there, can someone please help me.

Lately, everytime i play a mp3 on my pc, the sound crackles. it would play ok for 2 seconds then crackles. I mean erm, like static/distorted etc, if ya get me. I tried playing dvd's, avi's on my pc and theres no problem. Well, most of the time there's no problem except now and again regarding vids.

I went into Gspot and looked at my codecs (the 'all codecs and filters' bit) and found i had loads and loads! As they are color coded, i saw that some codecs had a problem according to gspot.

I'm not sure what soundcard i have and hope i dont need to do anything to my hardware as i'm hoping this is just a codec problem.

Can someone place tell me how to clean my pc from the codecs? Do codecs go out of date? I ask this as i've only ever downloaded the full klite codec pack (probably about 18 months - 2 years ago), the divx (i think) and any codecs that come with software.

What is the best way to solve my crackling audio problem? Do i need to uninstall all my codecs and get the latest ones....if so how and where?

Help is appreciated. I dont know much about codecs. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    do you have a VIA motherboard? it's a very common problem, try searching for it on Google.

the fix that works for me is turning down the wave volume in Volume Control to below half
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    jabby85, try this link to sherlock
    http://sherlock.corecodec.org/
    this program will place codec's broken in Red text in the list that you have installed.

sometime you may just need a update , just think back...did you
    install something new?

response to your question will be slow...members are trying out new arcade
    site that just opened and they are discovering old games.

it is the small things that usually drive us mad