Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FindNot.com

I have been using findnot since December, when I got a nasty letter from my ISP over a file I never downloaded. I got in at $10 a month, and they said they will never raise that. We will see on that one.

Overall, Findnot has been a good service so far. There are three ways to connnect. First is with VPN, that encrypts everything you do on the net and hides your IP address. That is nice, but it eats up a lot of bandwidth with things you don't need encrypted. Also, it is next to impossible to send email thru the VPN, since most ISP email servers will not accept your outgoing mail from findnot servers (spammers) so you have to kill the VPN to send mail. Speed is a little slower than usual, but not much
    Second is through thier socks servers. I got that to work with Firefox, but Kazaalite and eMule would never connect with thier proxy settings. I even tried to use sockscap and they still would not connect, so there isn't much I can tell you about that, except that Firefox was little slower in some cases.

Third is thier shh tunnel. This works wonderfull. The d/l speed is actually faster than it is through my ISP on downloads on eMule. Again, you have to find the right server. What is great about this is if the tunnel is lost, eMule disconnects and cannot connect directly like it can on VPN. You can use the rest of your applications direct through your ISP and use the tunnel for what you need. A negative is the DOS window that stays open on your desktop all the time you are running the tunnel, but that's no big deal

Findnot says they have a soft limit of 500 mgs a day, which isn't a lot. I know I have gone over that quite a few times, and have never heard from them. If the server is not overloaded, they don't really care, it seems.

The findnot email service seems to work OK. Your signin ID becomes your email name, and you can't change it, so choose carefully if you sign up. Don't use your real name for an ID.

Overall, I think it is worth the $10 a month to not have to worry about getting the letters etc. FIndnot says they do not log anything, but who knows. They do have a sort of sleazy sales pitch on thier home page that kind of made me wonder, but so far I have had no problems. I usually use an off shore server just in case, so Lars will have to go through more trouble to find me.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sorryrat; 05-25-2005 at 03:07 AM.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Call me skeptical. First post sorryrat & touting a pay service. Probably used an advanced search technic on Google to find his way here.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    I am not touting anything. I am giving my opinion as the OP asked. I was doing a search, to see if anyone was having any anonymity problems with findnot, because I am still a little sceptical, as I stated. I found this page, signed up, and tried to answer the OP's questions

Trust me, I am not trying to sell anything. I could have had nicer words to say about some of the findnot experiances I have had. I could have claimed that everything works perfect, but I didn't. I explained ther problems I had with the service, and the successes. What else was I asked to do?

But I do understand your concern. I hate it when people spam boards, just like you do.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by sorryrat
    I was doing a search, to see if anyone was having any anonymity problems with findnot, because I am still a little sceptical, as I stated. I found this page, signed up, and tried to answer the OP's questions
    Welcome Aboard...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    I have been a subscriber for about 5 months (when AnonX folded) . I have
    3mbs DSL . Connected to FindNot (after trying and selecting the fastest server) my
    download speed drops from 2700 to 2900 kbs to 190 kbs! For about an hour, I was
    getting 675kbs using a server in Florida (which disconnected!) .
    I am in New Jersey, maybe other areas do better. It is easy to check download speed
    using pcpitstop.com.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    I cannot even imagine the speeds you describe, since I am on the cox.net "value package" and 30 kbs is about max speed for me. But it beats the hell out of AOL's 4 kbs that I am used to. My speed is no where near what Cox advertizes.
    If I could find a service that provides faster speed at a cost of less than $50 a month, I would be interested.
    I suspect that Cox is capping P2P programs, since I can get faster speeds with a tunnel that I can through them direct. But I don't know a lot about that kind of stuff. Please, if someone can enlighten me as to what I need to do to get better speeds, post it here. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Last edited by sorryrat; 05-27-2005 at 03:06 AM.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    sorryrat- broadband is quoted in kb/s (kiloBITS/s), if you get 30 kBs (kilobytes/s)
    multiply by 8 to get kbs (in this case 240 kbs). If you haven't already, reset the
    cable modem by unplugging power cord for a minute (if it feeds a router, do the same
    to the router). Reconnect and check your internet connection speed with atl.speakeasy.net or pcpitstop.com. If you get less than 1mbs with cable you are
    getting robbed, I would call Cox.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    I ran the pcpitstop test and it told me I am getting 85 KBS. Cox advertised 500 kbs for this plan. I know that eMule speed to limited to the uploaders speed, but I can set my P2P to nearly unlimited, and still only get a total of maybe 30 kbs upload. If I am getting ripped, please let me know. If anyone else is on Cox and can tell me what thier experiance is, I would love to hear it. Thanks to everyone for the help.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Just signed up with them today to give 'em a try, and so far I'm not very impressed. Have tried all 23 SSH Tunnel servers and the best dl speed I can get is about 900 kbps. Normally I average 3500+. This is the first time I've tried a service like this, so maybe I'm being too critical. Am I? I just like to think that there's another similar service out there that won't deprive me of more than two-thirds of my bandwidth!
    Last edited by paranoidandroi; 06-03-2005 at 08:23 PM.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    I would love to get 900 kbs speed. Even without findnot, the best I can hope for is around 50 total up/download speed. It takes me days to download a 600 meg CD.
    I have a 10/100 Linksys router feeding 2 computers, and one is dedicated to downloading eMule, and I keep that one set up with a tunnel. That one is a dual processer 450 Gateway with 512 megs of RAM. My other is 2.0 meghrtz with a gig of ram. The speed is the same on both. I have cox.net thru a Motorola SB5100 cable modem.
    Please, someone tell me how to get those kind of speeds.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast