Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I run Windows XP Games with maximum free ram?

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Surprised/Amazed

I want some way to run windows (and only all components needed for off line game play) with the maximum amount of free ram. I wish the games could just run in some sort of Three Dimensional DOS, where the game is the "ONLY" thing in the ram. Think of the performance difference!?
    Run Half Life 2 on Windows xp with a few things open.
    Then if you could run Half Life 2 in a 3D type of DOS (doubt it exists)..wouldn't you see about an added 10-15fps? Without the O/S, you should be running in console mode baby.

Now, to be realistic.. I'm looking for somewhat of a way towards my dream of running games with a very small Bare bone O/S running in the background. How come PS2 and XBOX games run without an O/S? Couldn't the PC do the very same? Would be very nice indeed, because 90% of the time I run a pc games, I don't need the Internet, anti virus, firewall, and others.

I know Linux Wine adds a few FPS to games like Quake 3, but it lacks major support for other games. (barely runs Vice City half ass).
    Any ways to create a Partition with a specially modified version of windows dedicated for off line gamers? (When it comes to online games like Halo, I don't mind running Windows XP with latest updates..because It's somewhat safer that way).
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 04-08-2005 at 12:14 AM.

2. Games   -   #2
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    different is with a console you don't install the files on a HD it is ROM read only memory whats on the disk is what your running from. with a PC game you don't even need the disk with a no CD crack!! i don't think its possible without a OS where is the data to be stored/?

3. Games   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Adster
    different is with a console you don't install the files on a HD it is ROM read only memory whats on the disk is what your running from. with a PC game you don't even need the disk with a no CD crack!! i don't think its possible without a OS where is the data to be stored/?

Data is stored on the hard drive, an OS is just a graphical way of showing your hard drive. Think back to DOS that could be run off a floopy.

4. Games   -   #4
    Posted this about 20 min. ago but CC started f'in up. Good thing I saved it before i restarted. Here it is.

Then get Windows 2003... has barely any processes running.

No possible way a pc can play an xbox game. Other then an emu. but there is no practical emu out there.

Xbox does have a type of "OS" on it, but not really an OS. Xbox's root system code is just too different from pcs.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Games   -   #5
    Windows 2003? Does this run most pc games? What's it ment for?

6. Games   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Win2k>Win2k3 IMO.

7. Games   -   #7
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    You could simply kill as many processes as possible to free up ram

I haven't yet tried this but you can set it kill any processes etc items you want and then restore it.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartclose.html

i use this
    Start & Stop Services (.bat)
    When working offline & when playing games or running heavy applications - i kill these services to allow for faster machine. Its totally safe. also stops Avg & Sygate. You can add other process or services by simply adding their "name"
    download here : http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/s...97&postcount=2
    Last edited by 100%; 04-08-2005 at 01:23 PM.

8. Games   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Windows 2003? Does this run most pc games? What's it ment for?
    Yes. It is meant to be used as a server. Hence the name Windows Server 2003

It has at most 5-10 processes running when you first install it.
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 04-08-2005 at 03:29 PM.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Games   -   #9
    hmm, seems that SmartClose helps some. I just wish pc games could run either in windows or in the ram alone like a console. That way you have a faster system, things will go much faster. Hell, the memory is too low now of days. The system lags when the ram is clearing to fit more in right? Well, why not have 20gb+ of fast ram that has it's own cpu to clear it out. Some way that doesn't interupt you with the lag.

Anyho, I believe SmartClose is a good solution for people running windows who are trying to close most programs the lazy way. It also restores them back from a snapshot..not bad at all.

You know how there's Safemode? There should be Gamemode for gamers who don't want to be bothered with any other services and such. Barebone os with a playlist.

10. Games   -   #10
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Well, why not have 20gb+ of fast ram that has it's own cpu to clear it out. Some way that doesn't interupt you with the lag.
    not for another 5 years buddy. but i too wish there was something like that, think of the huge performance leap

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast