Thread: Internet Problem

I have Comcast cable internet. Its been down at my mouse for about 5 hrs. I called them and we worked on it (sad, I know more then the tech I was talking to ). But for some reason, none of my pcs can find an IP address. The pc is connected to the modem fine. The modem is connecting to my ISP fine. XP seems to be assigning an IP of something like 169.256.blah.blah. On every attempt to renew it, it does the same shit.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Does your ISP requre you to register your NIC's MAC address with them before they'll let your cablemodem give you an IP address?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    thedazman's Avatar WaReZeR
    well 169.256.x.x is probably the range of IPs comcast uses.

Try resetting your modem, shut off your computer and unplug your modem. Wait a few minutes then hook it up again. See if that helps.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you do realize that the 256 in that ip adress is impossible since the highest an 8 bit number can be is 256 and 0 is counted as well.

have you had your cable modem/router up and running before? have you changed any settings recently?

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Everything is fine. They must have had some problems in the local area cause the called the next morning with an automated system.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.