Thread: 100mhz Television

I'm going to get a new T.V because the 1 I have now will only play my movies in b+w.
    I'm going to connect to my new tv through s video from my radeon 8500 graphics card.The question is does it matter that the tv I'm after is 100Mhz?
    The other thing is that its a 32in pureflat widescreen and is there any way that I can make the movie fit the whole tv screen?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    I once hooked my s-video output to my tv and got a b+w picture. Then I looked at my s-video cable and saw that one of the pins in the connector was bent and not making connection.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    uh... i believe you mean 100hz? i believe one hz equates roughly to one frame per second, so 60hz is basically 60 frames per second and 100hz is 100 frames per second. mhz is way higher than a tv would be capable of.

as for whether your radeon 8500 would be compatible... it depends on which connection type you're using. i don't believe composite or s-video are capable of 100hz... but if the television has a DVI or VGA input, either of those should be fine (your video card is capable of producing a 100hz signal on DVI or VGA).

displaying on a widescreen tv. yes. after you connect a tv, look in your radeon driver settings... there should be a tab called "overlays"... and then a button that says "clone mode options." these options affect the secondary screen... so you'd click "theater mode" (to always display movies in fullscreen on the tv, whether or not your pc monitor is displaying the movie in fullscreen), aspect ratio "same as source video", and then display device aspect ratio "16:9 (widescreen)" (to fit widescreen movies to the tv).

in order for the radeon's theater display mode to work correctly, look in your movie program's options and make sure it's set to use the hardware overlay (i.e. the radeon's built-in movie display function).

divx/mpeg videos may not fit your widescreen tv perfectly, because not all movie rips preserve the original dvd aspect perfectly... so you may still see a bit of letterboxing at the top & bottom. but it should basically fill the screen.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Thanx for your reply I'll give it a go and let you know what happens
    At the moment I'm connected via my s video and audio cables into a scart which plugs into my scart on the tv.I was told because my tv is not compatible (i.e. not new enough) I would only get black and white which is the case.Is there any way around this without spending £700+ on a new tv?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Poster
    Ok. Most common reason for getting the picture in BW is that the picture format the movie uses isn't compatible with your TV. If the movie you watch is in NTSC and the TV is PAL, you will get BW-picture. Be sure to set your gfxcard to output the picture in the correct format for your TV. Most newer TV's (at least from say 5 years back, maybe more) can usually handle more than one format.

As for 50/60 or 100Hz. I have a 100Hz TV and I am very satisfied with it. The picture doesn't flicker as much as a 50Hz tv (rather, doesn't flicker at all). Since using a 100Hz TV also gets you digital enhancement, it's not all good tho. I can't f.ex hook up a c64 and get smooth scrollings as the c64 has the nice format of 50.12Hz and the 100Hz TV discards a full frame about every 200ms (or smth like that). That makes a VERY visible notch in the picture. But anyways, depends on what you want your telly for, I use it for movies, so I don't have a prob with that =)

As for widescreen (16:9) or the usual TV-format (4:3) I don't have to think about it as the TV I have autimatically adapt to the format comming in (it is a widescreen telly) =)

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    oh... right... i didn't consider that it could be an NTSC/PAL incompatibility.

i'm under the impression that any modern pc video card with television-support should have no trouble converting a movie to the correct signal (whether it's NTSC, PAL, digital, etc)... if you tinker with the driver settings enough. unlike a C64, which isn't quite as intuitive...

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Fasttracker A
    I just built my system to run always on my widescreen tv games movies surfing everything.
    On a composite s video cable the refresh rate does not reach any higher than 60hrz,100 on s video not possible.
    But on a dvi yes.
    Anyway the screen only flickers when you boot up,the real pain in my ass is
    getting used to the small print.
    Its not that its really smaller its that you sit futher away from the tv than you do with a monitor,there is ways of improving the size of the print.

One thing you have to go buy is a wireless optical mouse and keyboard,if you ever used one there is no going back.
    Sitting on the couch watching tv is great but using the comp from the couch
    is perfect.
    Why do you think hp and microsoft are now making multimedia computers?
    beause it will become the norm, like having a dvd player,playstation or vcr
    with you tv its the ultimate accessary.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Originally posted by nahan@8 April 2003 - 04:40
    One thing you have to go buy is a wireless optical mouse and keyboard,if you ever used one there is no going back.
    Sitting on the couch watching tv is great but using the comp from the couch
    is perfect.
    either that, or check out some of the PC remote controls that companies like ATI and nvidia are selling nowadays. it prolly requires a little bit of setting up, making sure the buttons correspond to the controls of your video programs... but once you've got it up and running, it's surely a nice thing to have if you like to use your PC with your television. i still haven't bought one yet, but it's on my list of things to get someday. not sure which one is better, but these two appear to be almost identical in terms of features.

http://www.ati.com/products/pc/remotewonder/index.html

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_PC_remote

they both feature built-in mouse controls, even.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Fasttracker A
    Yeah ATI is making remotes exclucively for the app.
    A remote w/ a built in track ball would be perfect eliminating mouse and keyboard forever.