Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Prix coverage....

sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer

Sick

Yesterday, I watched the Grand Prix on ITV.....and it was one of the most exciting races for many seasons, with Schumacher up the tail of Alonso having made up 30 seconds to get to the front......

With 3 laps to go.......ADVERTS!!!!

I mean FFS! What were they thinking?

We returned to the action with less than 1 lap to go.....the excitement of the chase gone....the whole point of watching the damn thing ruined. No tension, nothing.....oh and then they replayed the last 3 laps to show us what we missed after the race had finished.

It wouldn't have been so bad, but this was LIVE......

I just want to spit in the eye of the twat who thought it was a good idea.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Retired
    I think the time was planned before the race started.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Ok I can see that.....but with 3 laps to go...did they not think that it might be seen by those watching as totally innappropriate?

Whoever thought that it would be a good idea to interrupt a race right at the end wants their heads examining (then rejected as stupid) Whether or not it was a critical ending is not the point, its a stupid place for adverts in any event.

Wankers.......

As you can tell, this has really pissed me off.
    Last edited by sArA; 04-25-2005 at 09:08 AM.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    Yesterday, I watched the Grand Prix on ITV.....and it was one of the most exciting races for many seasons, with Schumacher up the tail of Alonso having made up 30 seconds to get to the front......

With 3 laps to go.......ADVERTS!!!!

I mean FFS! What were they thinking?

We returned to the action with less than 1 lap to go.....the excitement of the chase gone....the whole point of watching the damn thing ruined. No tension, nothing.....oh and then they replayed the last 3 laps to show us what we missed after the race had finished.

It wouldn't have been so bad, but this was LIVE......

I just want to spit in the eye of the twat who thought it was a good idea.
    It's been like that ever since ITV won the rights to show F1. One of the reasons I don't watch it as much as I used to.

If you think about it from the point of view of the advertiser, what better time to show a commercial, then when the entire audience is glued to their sets!

Even in the more mundane races of the last couple of years, they always had more ad-breaks towards the latter stages of the procession, I mean race, then near the start.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    I guess I didn't notice when it was Schumacher 2 laps ahead of everyone else....for 6 years!

I suppose the new rules (don't like them either) have created this opportunity for an actual race.

I just think that they should be allowed to go as fast as possible with as many pit stops, tyre changes etc as they want. Formula 1 is for innovation in engineering, formula 3 is for the established, restricted stuff so its all pants really.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    reminds me of Hungary '98 (i think), when they cut just before Hill took the lead in his Arrows on the next corner
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Poster
    That happened all over the world i guess.

And you saw yesterday Schumacher's successor as F1 world champion.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    nostalgia's Avatar Frequent visitor

Cool

We're most fortunate in the Netherlands. This year a commercial station other than the one the year before does the coverage, but the one firm who sold the rights to them made sure the race isn't interrupted by commercials. The whole race without commercials! Yeah!

Just as F1 finally becomes exciting and tension isn't a rarety anymore!
    Last edited by nostalgia; 04-25-2005 at 06:29 PM.
    -- They tell me tomorrow will never arrive, but I've seen it end a million times. --

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    There was a letter in this weeks radio times about this very thing. The "response" was they didn't want to interrupt the moments preceding, because they thought someone looked like they would be imminently overtaking someone else, and basically they ran out of time and so had to have the ad break. Apparently they will be taking steps so that this doesn't happen again.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    We live in hope then

Me of little faith.... :cynic:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast