Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riaa-at It Again

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    My info is sketchy-

Heard RIAA has filed suit against several college students (one in my neighborhood) for sharing files using the school's servers. They want BILLIONS
    I know this doesn't have much bearing on K-lite, but thought it was actually kinda funny.
    Billions from educational institutions and students-should be a gas watching how this progresses.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Originally posted by j2k4@7 April 2003 - 09:32
    My info is sketchy-

Heard RIAA has filed suit against several college students (one in my neighborhood) for sharing files using the school's servers. They want BILLIONS  
    I know this doesn't have much bearing on K-lite, but thought it was actually kinda funny.
    Billions from educational institutions and students-should be a gas watching how this progresses.
    I also read an article on this in one of the forums.. I dont know what dollar amount they were seeking,as it wasnt stated in the article. They can seek whatever they want, doesnt mean they'll get it. An incorporated issue in bringing a copyright infringement action, requires a showing that the "alleged" infringer has caused significant injury to the "copyright holder" by their actions..this has to be done on an individual basis,this can be very costly.

I agree, I think it will be very intresting to see how these cases progress.

On another note, look what happened in the Metallica lawsuit.. they wound up being boycotted..people simply stopped buying their products

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Apparently the RIAA is also putting the arm on the Unis, too-they'll never get damages, but they're using some per song/DL formula @ some absurd figure like 100K for individual DLs, for totals in the billions. Funny how they are clueless that they only demonstrate their futility by virtue of the amounts they purport represent actual damages.

Re: the Metallica issue: Ain't consumer pressure a wonderful thing? If only it worked the same way at the ballot box.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Someone should blow up the RIAA headquarters. It would be ok as no innocents would die. People have a right to protect stuff they create but these people go too far.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by j2k4@7 April 2003 - 11:12
    Apparently the RIAA is also putting the arm on the Unis, too-they'll never get damages, but they're using some per song/DL formula @ some absurd figure like 100K for individual DLs, for totals in the billions. Funny how they are clueless that they only demonstrate their futility by virtue of the amounts they purport represent actual damages.        

Re: the Metallica issue: Ain't consumer pressure a wonderful thing? If only it worked the same way at the ballot box.
    Yeah.. they'll never get damages from the Uni's.. especially if they have incorporated "anti-filesharing software" on their servers.. they have made a "good faith effort" and can't be held responsible if someone circumvents the software.

They will also have to show HOW they arrived at their "damage estimates".. and what the "actual damage" is that was "alledgedly"caused by the infringer. this would be interesting, because the "infringer" could turn around and claim that he/she was being "targeted" by virtue of the number of uploads they claim he allowed.

This could raise "another issue".. they could find themselves the subject of a lawsuit. This should be intresting to watch.

PS: I'm not even sure whether it's even legal for a "private interest" to monitor a users internet traffic in the first place.. let alone use the findings as "evidence" against them. I liken this to someone wire-tapping your phone conversations without a warrant (where is the probable cause?)

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    wont affect my school,

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by The Knife Thrower@7 April 2003 - 11:47
    Someone should blow up the RIAA headquarters. It would be ok as no innocents would die. People have a right to protect stuff they create but these people go too far.
    Exactly.. Where will it all end? Whats next.. are they going to try and hack into your computer because they think you may be doing something illegal?

I agree with you.. sure they have a right to protect what they created, but I dont think that should give them the right to violate someone's privacy.
    Whats next? .. an FBI raid on my house? Seize my computer? all because I share a few tunes?

Indeed, they have gone way too far.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    MPAA/RIAA make nothing but (legal) trouble -- they're associations of companies. It's only the individual companies under their banner that actually makes anything. Almost all of the piracy losses are smoke-and-mirrors. If the losses were real/quantifiable, they could be written off as losses for purposes of taxes and shareholder meetings.

Companies can write off as a loss anything that's physically stolen, but MPAA/RIAA companies wouldn't DARE put that on their taxes or tell that to their shareholders.

Believe it or not, MPAA and RIAA *ARE* asking for hacking rights and immunity from accidental damages. That way they CAN look at what's on your computer and disable it as they see fit. They're also looking to strengthen the already-ridiculous legal penalties for piracy.

They're not far from reaching those goals, with homeland (in-)security, DMCA, and other pointless laws.

Carnivore, Echelon, and homeland (in-)security basically says you already have no privacy. Adware and Spyware are LEGAL because of very weak privacy protections. Verizon has been forced by the courts to hand over a list of names, addresses, and other private information because RIAA/MPAA says they're committing piracy... RIAA/MPAA does NOT even have to offer evidence/probable cause anymore thanks to DMCA... a search warrent is not needed. Guilty until we say otherwise! And people who ARE innocent really ARE being trapped in this sort of thing.

RIAA has already called on the aid of the Secret Service to conduct an anti-piracy raid in New York. Officially, RIAA was only there as 'advisors'... but the fact of the matter is the Secret Service wouldn't have been there with guns out if RIAA hadn't requested them. Fortunately, the targets did not resist arrest... it could've been fatal.

I use Peer Guardian, not because I think it's especially effective -- but because if I am scanned by known internet cops (those working for MPAA/RIAA/BSA) then at least I'll know WHO my accusers are... because the law has been changed so even that's not required anymore. I do however think Peer Guardian v1.95b offers SOME protection against these forces -- and it's simple enough for anyone to use it that it's like not having antivirus software to NOT have it.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Yeah.. It's getting to be a real sorry state of affairs. A couple of years ago, if someone even suggested something like this could happen.. they probably would of been laughed out of town.

But nonetheless, it is surely becoming a reality,slowly, but surely individuals "rights" are being erroded.. didnt we go to war to prevent these kinds of things from happening?

From what I can see, the enemy is within.. go figure. Where will it all end ??

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Since the RIAA and MPAA represent American companies, they aren't legally able to enforce American copyright laws on people residing in other countries. It'd be a nightmare, really.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast