Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: double standard? (USA thread)

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Agreed but the reason I don't understand what hoopla is with this "any" shit is that it couldn't possibly apply to ANY COURT IN THE WORLD.

I could get convicted of a crime in a country completely hostile to America.....and then I'll be penalized by uhh America too.

This is why I thank the Supreme Court for having some "common sense".

If we are to recognize other courts when it comes to our laws they should be named specifically.

This shouldn't even have been debatable.
    cases should be looked at without prejudice. whether you like the original country or not shouldn't effect whether they get a fair trial in the US

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    are you rodding me or did you sell your common sense for some magic beans?

---------------------

with the assault thing i suppose you have a point, if we are burgled we are allowed to use reasonable force. so if an unarmed burglar breaks in and i beat him to death with a baseball bat, that would be manslaughter. whereas it seems that way of thinking is ok in america, so that charge shouldn't carried over.

with guns though i find it hard to imagine someone in britain with a gun not to be a dickhead
    That's my point. Besides the fact that one can't own a gun there, you among your other UK mates on this board, view simply owning a gun as a bad thing. Your prejudice and law against certain things is just fine for over there.
    Last edited by Busyman; 04-29-2005 at 02:08 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    cases should be looked at without prejudice. whether you like the original country or not shouldn't effect whether they get a fair trial in the US
    Cases should be looked without prejudice where?

Whatever the foreign country is, it shouldn't have much bearing on a US trial.....but in all cases shouldn't be totally ignored for all laws.
    Sometimes there are extraordinary circumstances.
    Last edited by Busyman; 04-29-2005 at 02:06 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    That's my point. Besides the fact that one can't own a gun there, you among your other UK mates on this board, view simply owning a gun as a bad thing.
    apart from target practice, which i know can be pretty fun (i used to own with my airguns) nothing good can come from it. in britain we don't even have the scare culture that make homeowners feel they need guns. so the only people who would wnat a gun here would be upto no good.

however without a conviction for threatening behaviour or using the gun, the 'up to no good' is only presumption.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    That's my point. Besides the fact that one can't own a gun there, you among your other UK mates on this board, view simply owning a gun as a bad thing.
    I guess the UK thing doesn't include me, but for what it's worth the consensus seemed to be that owning a gun in itself isn't a bad thing, it's just that most people shouldn't be allowed to own them, I (or we) have no problem with guns if they are in the hands of the right people, ie law enforcement or similar.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Cases should be looked without prejudice where?

Whatever the foreign country is, it shouldn't have much bearing on a US trial.....but in all cases shouldn't be totally ignored for all laws.
    Sometimes there are extraordinary circumstances.
    in all cases previous convictions should be investigated. i suppose if a person was from zimbabwe and was set up for opposing the government or something along those lines a case can be invalid but that's why it should be investigated.

what if a man gets done for armed robbery in france then moves to america, should this previous crime be wiped from his record? tbh i don't believe it should be questioned, but that's just my oppinion

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I guess the UK thing doesn't include me, but for what it's worth the consensus seemed to be that owning a gun in itself isn't a bad thing, it's just that most people shouldn't be allowed to own them, I (or we) have no problem with guns if they are in the hands of the right people, ie law enforcement or similar.
    i think the UK thing means not america but, us UKians are particularly snooty about the fact our gun laws work

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    apart from target practice, which i know can be pretty fun (i used to own with my airguns) nothing good can come from it. in britain we don't even have the scare culture that make homeowners feel they need guns. so the only people who would wnat a gun here would be upto no good.

however without a conviction for threatening behaviour or using the gun, the 'up to no good' is only presumption.
    Your paragraphs are somewhat contradictory then.

The bottom line is..you can't own a handgun there and that's fine but by making a gun possession conviction in the UK valid here then that makes you almost the same as Washington DC (where handguns are illegal).

Since the UK is not part of America and your government, views of law, and such are different, then I should not be subject to your probationary measures in America.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Your paragraphs are somewhat contradictory then.

The bottom line is..you can't own a handgun there and that's fine but by making a gun possession conviction in the UK valid here then that makes you almost the same as Washington DC (where handguns are illegal).

Since the UK is not part of America and your government, views of law, and such are different, then I should not be subject to your probationary measures in America.
    i don't see the contradiction. the only incentive to own a gun here is to commit crime, but we can only presume until someone is charged

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    i don't see the contradiction. the only incentive to own a gun here is to commit crime, but we can only presume until someone is charged
    That's how YOU view it.

If I lived there, I'd want one for protection in my home.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast