Thread: I'm Thinking About Installing Win Xp

Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Hi all!

I almost never ask anything from anybody. But this time i just want some straight answers please?
    Because this is stuff i know almost nothing about!

This is going to be the 6th time installing Win XP!
    But this time i've got a XP compatible Ethernet Card. (that was my fist problem&#33

Are there things i should know before i install this version?
    Any known bugs?
    Standard software that doesn't work properly?
    I have seen many Klite problems with XP and i hope i won't have those!!

I leave my HD's at Fat32 btw so i can switch back to ME if it sucks again...

Please let me know okay? I'm using Win ME now and (i know i know ) it workes fine but i'm a bit behind...

Thanks already! Alrighty than!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    musicalmidget's Avatar n00b
    I don't have any problems with XP. Theres often alot of updates available once you install it if you have any hardware/software problems.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by musicalmidget@7 April 2003 - 20:09
    I don't have any problems with XP. Theres often alot of updates available once you install it if you have any hardware/software problems.
    That sounds promising musicalmidget!

Thanks for your reply!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    musicalmidget's Avatar n00b
    Any time.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    you can run a compatability before you install, just put the win xp cd in and click check my system. then you will see.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rocktron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Wizzandabe@7 April 2003 - 20:50
    you can run a compatability before you install, just put the win xp cd in and click check my system. then you will see.
    Another great tip! Thanks! I will do that!

And good luck with finding a new Avatar!!
    You are a kind person. I would have done the same thing despite of me being a earlier member on this board..

I hope your new Avatar will be better than the first one!

See Ya!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    YOu should definately do what Wizzandabe said. If there are any major harddware conflicts, like your printer or something that costs money to replace, you probably shouldn't bother updating. But chances are you won't have many software problems, and they would be minor ones.

I upgraded from Windows ME to XP over a year ago and I haven't had any problems. Just find all the drivers you need for XP, like your sound/video/printer drivers ready. If you're doing an upgrade instead of a clean install just move these into a folder.

Windows XP is definately better than Windows ME and you shouldn't have any problems. I suggest just doing an outright clean install unless you really need to save files on your computer. If you have "fasttrack" version of XP you should make sure to download the XP key changer, the hash is somewhere on this site. After you install just run that program and download SP1 and any other updates, install your drivers, and you're good to go. Works great!