Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compress .avi videos with ZIP format

Ok, this is my question, I share .wmv videos that I made with lots of people in differemt forums in the net, now some of my videos are too big, like 25mb and up, there is any way that I can compress them with zip format (all the people in the forum use zip they don’t’ know any other format but zip, that is why it has to be zip) that can make my videos smaller, like maybe halve of it, I used winZip but it only compresses my videos 5%, if it is 20,889 kb it will compress it to 20,589 kb, which is nothing, so I would like to know if there is any compressor that I can use to make this video smaller.

Thanks
    Last edited by pattysan; 04-30-2005 at 06:02 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    thats normal you cant compress avi further.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    avi's that use divx/xvid are already compressed, about the only way to make them smaller would be to re-encode them to a lower resolution
    Last edited by Vargas; 04-29-2005 at 06:53 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    avi's that use divx/xvid are already compressed, about the only way to make them smaller would be to re-encode them to a lower resolution
    really? becoz there are some people in those forums that make .avi videos smaller...

suck!! if I cannot make it smaller...
    Last edited by pattysan; 04-30-2005 at 06:03 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    well if it's an uncompressed avi sure, but if it's divx then it's already compressed about as far as you can
    BTW codec means COmpressor/DECompressor

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6

Surprised/Amazed

well if it's an uncompressed avi sure, but if it's divx then it's already compressed about as far as you can
    BTW codec means COmpressor/DECompressor
    sorry about my first post, I made a mistake my videos are not .avi but .wmv

the original video were mpegs then I use movie maker to make my videos and save them in .wmv format, so I don' think they are divx.

I am so sorry about the .avi part, I don't know why I type .avi when it is .wmv

So any help
    Last edited by pattysan; 04-29-2005 at 08:38 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    well i have used windows media encoder in the past to encode mpgs to wmv, just encode them to a lower bitrate/resolution

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8

Unsure

well i have used windows media encoder in the past to encode mpgs to wmv, just encode them to a lower bitrate/resolution
    well the thing is that I want to keep the good quality if a lower the bitrate then the resolution is not going to be good.

I guess there is nothing I can do, right?..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    you guessed it. you could try 7zip for a tad better compression then winzip, but don't expect much as wmv is already compressed

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Vargas thank you so much for your help, I’ll try 7zip, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast