Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symantec Client Security

Surprised/Amazed

Hello everyone!
    I am having a little problem with the setup installation of SCS. I downloaded the file off of eMule through the verified links provided in this wonderful site :-P. Now I had installed Norton Internet Security Profesional 2004 but i wanted to try the new SCS. I was asked to uninstall a previos firewall (which i did). I restarted my pc then went back to setup. While it's getting started i get a messege saying "MSI must be launched through setup" what am i doing wrong?

Any idea on how to overcome this? Thanks in advace!
    Last edited by Catracho; 04-30-2005 at 06:50 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Whats msi ? Mabye disconnect from the internet till you get it sorted . Uninstall old firewall thru add remove , then install the new one. Msi is a mobo weird eh ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 04-30-2005 at 07:12 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Whats msi ? Mabye disconnect from the internet till you get it sorted . Uninstall old firewall thru add remove , then install the new one. Msi is a mobo weird eh ?
    MSI is the Microsoft Instal Wizard. I have found a way to fix this littel glitch...I tell ya that google guy is great :-P. Thanks anyways

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Right. Maybe you could mention what solved the problem?

In any case... You should also remove the AntiVirus 2004 which is part of Internet Security 2004. Not just the Firewall.

And as for the setup... Just reinsert the CD. It has an Autorun.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'm left to guess. Fn post the solution, jeez. Windows Install Clean Up, is what helped me clear up an .msi problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Catracho
    MSI is the Microsoft Instal Wizard. I have found a way to fix this littel glitch...I tell ya that google guy is great :-P. Thanks anyways
    .msi-something is, if I'm not mistaken, a file format used by symantech security products (like Norton).

[EDit: Had a look around too, and in this case it was to do with the windows installer, according to many.]

They use it instead of .exe:s or something, so in this case I think it was trying to start up the firewall anyway, but couldn't.

Norton has a tendency to dig in, so take a look at your startup entries, see if it's still there, and next time, try unloading the scanner and firewall entirely before uninstalling.

Also, load up your task manager after you've uninstalled everything (through add/remove programs, like someone said), and see if there are still norton-related processes running, if so, you may need to delete something from the registry and remove stuff by hand.

You need to do all of this before installing the symantech client security thing, since it's going to use the same kind of processes.

EDitII: Symantech does use .instmsi files, for installations, .nsi-files, in norton, instead of shortcuts (I think), and .msi-files (instead of .exe, I think, again).

I found 'em in the symantech corp installer, and in the start menu-folder for norton, on someone else's computer right now.

But in this case it's the MS installer apparently.

Bit confusing though.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-30-2005 at 12:24 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    MSI - MicroSoft Installer, now known as Windows Installer.

If you know how to do it, you can often uninstall software by directly manipulating the msi scripts. But for Symantec Client Security the scripts are written in such a way that IT DOESN'T WORK. You can even get to the situation where parts of your system are locked out because half of the software is still working, and you've uninstalled the configuration parts.

If you want to uninstall any of the Symantec products and your installation is corrupt, the only way to do it is to reinstall first.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'm glad this came up, 'cos I'm going to have to uninstall norton from someone else's machine soon, and like I edited in above, it is a tad confusing.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I'm glad this came up, 'cos I'm going to have to uninstall norton from someone else's machine soon, and like I edited in above, it is a tad confusing.
    Symantec also has cleaner tools to remove stubborn leftovers as well, I had to do this back when I tried to install 2003 0ver 2002. Now I only mess with mine after a re-format

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Why not just go through the extra efforts of actually un-installing the entire suite (NIS2004) through whichever method you choose (add/remove programs applet or installation CD) then running an application such as RegSeeker to remove registry and other various entries/strings you nolonger need? After which, cleaning out your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec and related systems folders in Documents and Settings would also be of great help. Lastly- running a cleaner application such as CCleaner to clear out any residule unwanted files is certain to ensure that SCS v3.0 will install effortlessly.

Of course, not that I have done this already myself. Personally, IMO, if you are going to undertake such a step with any high-end Symantec product, do it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast