Thread: i can't figure out what's wrong with my computer

it's not letting me install C++ for some reason....i don't know if it's cuz of service pack 2 or what....but i've tried 3 other people's C++ cds and they all give me a problem when I double click on setup.exe , is there a way to get around this? or is there a patch or fix that I'm supposed to download?

I attached the image....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikenmike0001; 04-24-2005 at 10:08 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    do you now, or have you ever had, an older Visual Basic, C++, etc. installed?
    there exists some compatability issues
    for instance, you cant install an Enterprise edition alongside a Personal edition,
    or something like that
    I had googled it before, when I had a problem with one of the editions
    give it a shot (google), you might find an answer

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    no i don't have an older version........

okay, strange thing is that I just got from someone the microsoft visual studio.net 2003 cd and installed the thing fully......so okay....now I can program in C++ .....the layout is sort of strange, but i'll get used to it.....

it still doesn't make sense why I would have errors with that setup file for the stand alone visual C++ program.......

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    1. Clear the Temp folder by removing any previous incomplete installations. • The default location for the Temp folder on Windows 2000 is C:\Documents and Settings\Profile\Local Settings\Temp C:\Winnt\Temp or, if upgraded from Windows 98, C:\Windows\Temp.
    • The default location for the Temp folder on Windows NT 4 is C:\Temp C:\Winnt\Temp.
    NOTE: To discover the location of your Temp folder: on the Start menu, click Run, type %temp%, and then click OK.

2. Try to manually start Acmsetup by typing the following command line:
    E:\SETUP\ACMSETUP.EXE /T *.STF /S E:\ /n "" /o "" /k "YYYYYYYYYY" /b1
    where E is the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive letter, and YYYYYYYYYY is the CD key for the product (the /k options and its argument should be omitted for Service Pack installations).

NOTE:The specific *.stf file that is required for the manual command line will vary depending on the specific product you are installing. Search the \Setup folder on the CD-ROM of the product you are installing for the *.stf to use. For example, for Visual Basic 6.0 Professional, use VB98Pro.stf.
    If you still cannot install the product by passing the command line manually, continue with the following to repair the NTVDM process.

Nullify any nonstandard settings in the Config.nt and Autoexec.nt files in the system root\System32 folder. To do so, use an REM statement to remark out each entry except the following default entries:
    Config.nt

dos=high, umb
    device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
    files=20

Autoexec.nt

lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\nw16 (only if CSNW is installed)*
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\vwipxspx (only if CSNW is installed)*

* CSNW is Client Services for NetWare

NOTE: Another way to accomplish this is to expand Autoexec.nt_ and Config.nt_ from the Windows NT or Windows 2000 CD-ROM to the SystemRoot\System32 folder: • To expand a single compressed file, use the Expand.exe program. This program is located on the Windows CD-ROM in the I386 folder.
    • To expand the required files: 1. Insert the Windows CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Autoexec.nt
    3. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:
    EXPAND X:\i386\Config.NT_ C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config.nt
    4. Restart the computer and try to install the product again.

X:\disk1\SETUP\ACMSETUP.EXE /T VS98Ent.STF /S E:\ /n "" /o "" /k "YYYYYYYYYY" /b 1

where: • X is your path to Acmsetup.exe
    • E is the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive letter
    • YYYYYYYYYY is the CD key
    You can verify the command line switches by running Setup on a computer that you know is operating correctly, thereby creating a setup log.

Your specific *.stf file will vary depending on the specific product you are installing. Search the \Setup folder of the product you are installing for the *.stf to use. For example, for Visual Basic 6.0 Professional, it is VB98Pro.stf
    Generating a Log File
    You can tell the Acme part of Setup to generate a log file. To do this, start Setup with the following command:
    X:\setup /gc path\file name
    where X is the location of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and path\file name is the path and file name for the log file. The path and file name must be in 8.3 short name format and must not be in quotation marks.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 5 Readme

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/ITS/Topic/Pubpc/vs6/sp5/readme.htm

Hope this helps