Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Installing a VGA Cooler, is it hard?

  1. #1
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,453
    Just wondering, if you install a VGA cooler on your video card, do you have to take out the heatsink already on the Video card? Is it hard?

    i thought about buying that...

    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835116015

    or

    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835186110
    Last edited by Monkeee; 05-05-2005 at 05:17 AM.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee
    do you have to take out the heatsink already on the Video card? Is it hard?
    Yes. No.

    These heatsinks are usually held on by a couple of spring loaded clips. Simply squeeze the clip on the reverse side and the spring and clip will fly about the room.

    What is the purpose of replacing the heatsink? Temp reduction or noise reduction? Difficult to know what to advise if we don't know your objective.

    Remember to use thermal paste when fitting a new heatsink.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Yes. No.

    These heatsinks are usually held on by a couple of spring loaded clips. Simply squeeze the clip on the reverse side and the spring and clip will fly about the room.

    What is the purpose of replacing the heatsink? Temp reduction or noise reduction? Difficult to know what to advise if we don't know your objective.

    Remember to use thermal paste when fitting a new heatsink.
    Temp, + noise reduction. by card went up to 70C yesterday >< highest i've seen it go.

    http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16835186110

    do you think this will fit on a 6600GT card?

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    I'm not sure if that AC unit supports the 6600.
    They make several different revisions for different card, so watch out.
    I have used this Zalman and it's pretty nice.
    Easy to mount also.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,453
    hmmm, that card is close to $50. (tax, shipping) any other reccomendations thats cheaper?

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee
    hmmm, that card is close to $50. (tax, shipping) any other reccomendations thats cheaper?
    Ummm...leave it stock?
    When it comes to cooling parts, IMO you generally get what you pay for (unless you're talking about Thermaltake- then all bets are off).

    What is the shutdown temp on a 6600?
    My 6800 has a temp ceiling of 123C (which I find preposterous), but hovered in the 50-60c range with the Zalman installed.

    We seem to have reached the stage where the VPU is the hottest component in a PC and halfassed cooling measures are no longer sufficient.
    Last edited by clocker; 05-06-2005 at 12:26 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,497
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    We seem to have reached the stage where the VPU is the hottest component in a PC and halfassed cooling measures are no longer sufficient.
    It looks like there is a need for smaller technology for cooler running. How about a 90 nm GPU?

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    I'm not sure whether the processor or the RAM is the real culprit.
    The Zalman supplied RAM sinks got noticably warm while running.
    If it is the memory, things will only get worse with the release of the new gen 512MB cards....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •