Thread: Windows mediaplayer keeps/kept opening up?!?

Filliz's Avatar ______________
    Weird.
    Problems started out of the blue.
    First I got a message from winamp saying that there was a new version available and asking if I wanted to install it now.

Clicked no and after a while I got an error message saying that there was a fault in winmap.exe ad that it could'nt be closed properly.
    So I clicked ok to close it properly.
    But then my computer started to lag like hell.
    And that message kept reapearing.

So I just did a cold reboot (or whatever it's called) because i got fed up with it.
    Uninstalled the damn fecker for giving me all this problems.

And then all of the sudden stupid WMP keeps popping up.
    It opens up all by itself forcing itself to stay on top all the time.
    Closed it and it came right back.

Ctrl+alt+del showed me that there were a couple of mediaplayer.exe's constantly opening and closing themselves.

Virus scan came out clean.
    No ad/spyware either.

Rebooted again,opened up Ccleaner to search for issues.
    It found quite a few that were linked to winamp,deleted all of those issues and now everything is back to normal

Now,what the hell could be causing my wmp to go bananas?

hmm...asspie

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Rebooting and or cleaning the cache with ccleaner probably fixed it. There is an option for windows media player to check for updates mabye turn that off ?

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../mp10/faq.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default...23120121120120

OOPs sure glad I reread my posts . You installed "WINAMP" then had trouble ? Probably a file association problem that you fixed when you unistalled, then ran ccleaner to fix issues. I thought winamp was not being supported anymore ? So why did it check for updates ?
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-06-2005 at 12:43 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Novice
    Dont use ccleaner's registry cleaner if you have any Media Center Edition. it will delete some neccessary items and MCE will not work properly.
    "Revenge is a meal best served cold"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    OOPs sure glad I reread my posts . You installed "WINAMP" then had trouble ? Probably a file association problem that you fixed when you unistalled, then ran ccleaner to fix issues. I thought winamp was not being supported anymore ? So why did it check for updates ?
    No,I have Winamp for ages on my pc so it's not because I jus installed it that it started to go all freaky on my system.
    It just opened up with a message saying that there was a new version available...and if I wanted to install it.

I clicked no and closed winamp again.
    Then I got a message saying that winamp.exe couldn't be closed properly because of something.
    I clicked away the message and it kept reapearing,like I had couple of instances of winamp running.
    It just didn't stop!

Everything got really laggy and I couldn't do anything anymore.
    So did a reboot,uninstalled winamp and after some time Windows mediaplayer starts appearing on my screen.
    The minute I close it down it opens up again.
    So I got fed up with closing it all the time and wanted to keep it minimized till I found out what was going on and it just kept popping up on top of my browser.
    It was eating 60% of my cpu
    When I looked at all the processes I had running I noticed that there were 3 instances of Windows mediaplayer in the list comming and going really fast.
    There was just no way in stopping it Really creepy!

But yeah,it's fixed now...just curious on why it was doing this.

Seems a bit weird that file associations could be the cause of this

hmm...asspie

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    It was probably an ActiveX control (in Downloaded Program Files or the cache), I've seen that sort of behaviour before. If so, it may have set your security settings to low, check them NOW.

Better still, use Firefox.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    It was probably an ActiveX control (in Downloaded Program Files or the cache), I've seen that sort of behaviour before. If so, it may have set your security settings to low, check them NOW.

Better still, use Firefox.
    I was using FireFox
    And I just cleaned my cache earlier that day.

hmm...asspie