Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New heights of violence in games

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Ok since last night it was mentioned in a conversation, which ironically coinsided with my aquirement or a new game, I thought I'd start yet another "VideoGame violence" thread

I've actually been out of the gaming loop for a couple of years, I stopped playing after finishing vice city, no particular reason, but now getting back into it

Well we've had games like GTA and the press have gone nuts as to how violent they are, we had resi evil doing people's heads in. As games get more tenalogically advanced they get more realistic or "Cleaner" for want of a better word. Games such as Doom 3 with it's "Shot em in the face, Gung ho" mentality, MOH with bodies flying past you left right and centre, Max Payne with it's dark and dingy settings full of drugs and shotguns in the face........all great games.
    But how is it that these games are any more violent than the likes or Ratchet and Clank? or other "Family" games, you still wander round with the biggest weapon you can find and batter enemies to death.
    People say it's the realisim or the blood and gore, well surely a game which shows when you hit someone with a baseball bat round the head, they stay down or die sends a slightly less fictional message than the cartoon games where the enemy just gets up and you hit him again. In a youngsters eyes it could be interpreted as what happens in real life.......you belt someone round the head, they see lil birdies flying round and get up again.
    Hmmmm.....

Having said all that, I've just started playing "The Punisher"

Anyone here played it? awesome game but seriously one of the sickest games I've played.
    It's a spinoff of the comic book vigilante who's family were murdered by mafia, obviously he wants revenge.
    The game is based on 3rd person, you walk round with various weapons, shooting bad guys.......nothing new there huh.....but......when the mood strikes you or the story line insists, you grab a bad guy and interogate him......no, not sitting round a table in poor lighting with coffee.....you get a choice, either choke/punch/gun to head/smash face into ground toture to make em squeel like a pig.....there are also many "Special Interogation" points, for example......feeding the bad guy into a saw mill, holding his head in a pirana tank, pinning him under a milling machine, holding his head in a deep fat fryer , there's many ways you can get your answers.

So with this in mind, I'm thinking it's about time the goverment/shops/parents started to realise that when a game has an 18 stamped on it, a 10y/o should not be playing it. The Punisher goes way beyond the violence in Doom 3 or GTA, I mean this game is pretty sick, it's not so much the graphical content, (altho certain parts are worthy of a bucket if you got a weak stomach) it's the pricipals and ideals behind the game, I found myself sitting here laughing maniacally whle feeding a bad guy into a wood chipper........AFTER he talked, cos I just felt like it
    Just wonder what sort of effet this would have on a 10y/o.

Anyhoo, just thinking aloud really, anyone's thoughts on the way games are moving toward more and more realistic sickening violence are welcome

Jonno

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    being a computer gamer my attention span is too short to read that

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think there is going to be violence in 'The Arcade'. Apparently people are 'cheating'. Would you believe it? Cheating to become first. wonder where they got that idea from?

Back on thread. Yes I think that there is too much violence in video games. There have been cases where youngsters have got mixed up between virtual and reality and killed someone. Then blamed it on computer/arcade games. I suppose some kind of stricter control will need to be imposed. With suitable age and mental capacity being pre-requisites before being allowed to play violent games.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    i dont think there ever has been a proven case of that. people just use games companies as a scape goat.

imagine you're a lwayer defending a kid who killed someone. which sounds better for the case? "this kid has a screw lose and wasn't bought up right" or "he's been influenced by games which blurred the lines between reality and virtual reality".
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 05-10-2005 at 12:41 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Ok that is not how it works imo, if you're gonna kill someone or whatever, then you have it in you to do it anyway, games simply give ideas and motivation in the wrong minds.
    However, there HAVE been a few cases where a youngster, pre teen has battered his best freind to death in a play sword fight using baseball bats. This was a few years ago and I cannot find you a source, but I do remember when interviewed and asked why, the kid said something like "I wanted to win like Highlander" .
    Admittedly the kid was obviously not righ in the first place, but I mean a young kid is easily influenced and given idea's.
    I don't think games should be stopped, but I do think it should be stricter, I know the woolworths in my town think the certs are just guidlines, this is the problem, people don't see games as serious enough to warrent a "Legal" certificate.

It's all a lot of bollocks really and down to the parents, but having said that, the kids says "Mum I want that game", the mum buys it and the kid goes home and plays it in his room, the parents are none the wiser.

It's just a lapse of awareness thru the journey from maker to player.

Jonno

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Ok that is not how it works imo, if you're gonna kill someone or whatever, then you have it in you to do it anyway, games simply give ideas and motivation in the wrong minds.
    However, there HAVE been a few cases where a youngster, pre teen has battered his best freind to death in a play sword fight using baseball bats. This was a few years ago and I cannot find you a source, but I do remember when interviewed and asked why, the kid said something like "I wanted to win like Highlander" .
    Admittedly the kid was obviously not righ in the first place, but I mean a young kid is easily influenced and given idea's.
    I don't think games should be stopped, but I do think it should be stricter, I know the woolworths in my town think the certs are just guidlines, this is the problem, people don't see games as serious enough to warrent a "Legal" certificate.

It's all a lot of bollocks really and down to the parents, but having said that, the kids says "Mum I want that game", the mum buys it and the kid goes home and plays it in his room, the parents are none the wiser.

It's just a lapse of awareness thru the journey from maker to player.

Jonno
    Enough of that kind of talk laddie. Or I will come down to Sheringham and hit you over the head with an Atlas <old joke>.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Sorry to say it but most people are fucking idiots.

Reduce everything down it's simplest form it may not solve the problem but it makes it easier to solve.

1. Ratings systems in video games should be adhered to similar to requirements in buying alcohol. If it's little kid buying Doom 3 or Punisher from a store, FINE THE FUCKING STORE....HEAVILY.

2. Parents need to pay attention to the fucking ratings system. Government should do an ad campaign about it.

3. The violence in video games shouldn't be regulated whatsoever, just the rating system. Mimic the movie's system and and force adherance to it.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-10-2005 at 05:58 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    busyman is right

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    OMFG!!! yes he is!!

This surely is a dark day......

2 people........count em 2!!! people agreeing with Busyman!!

Let this thread be framed and mounted on the wall of weirdness and obscurity

Jonno

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    This agreeing shit is not cool fellas. Not cool at all!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast