Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: filibusters

  1. #1
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    for those outside the US that don't know, a filibuster (simplified) is where one party can prevent a vote on an issue unless a vote of 60 out of 100 can be achieved to move on...the idea is to protect minority rights against the actions of a majority party.
    Presently the republicans are trying to remove the filibuster for court nominations so a simple majority will push through all judges put forward by Bush.

    Personally I would like to see the filibuster go...but in its place I would wish all judges that are being voted for lifetime positions to have to achieve a minimum 60 votes.

    The debate is not the rights or wrongs of the filibuster system.

    should lifetime appointments to such positions as supreme court judges be allowed to be made by the simple 51% vote of the majority party of the day?..... given that today's majority could be tomorrows minority.
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-10-2005 at 08:24 PM.

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    I disagree.

    The debate will be about where ever the thread goes in relation to the topic.

    You mentioned filibusters. I say leave it be.

    ...and to your last statement, I like it they it has always been.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30,399
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    for those outside the US that don't know, a filibuster (simplified) is where one party can prevent a vote on an issue unless a vote of 60 out of 100 can be achieved to move on...the idea is to protect minority rights against the actions of a majority party.
    Presently the republicans are trying to remove the filibuster for court nominations so a simple majority will push through all judges put forward by Bush.

    Personally I would like to see the filibuster go...but in its place I would wish all judges that are being voted for lifetime positions to have to achieve a minimum 60 votes.

    The debate is not the rights or wrongs of the filibuster system.

    should lifetime appointments to such positions as supreme court judges be allowed to be made by the simple 51% vote of the majority party of the day?..... given that today's majority could be tomorrows minority.

    In the UK a Filibuster is someone who carries on speaking in the House to prevent a vote taking place. I understand he can not be stopped from speaking unless the debate runs out of time.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I disagree.

    The debate will be about where ever the thread goes in relation to the topic.

    You mentioned filibusters. I say leave it be.

    ...and to your last statement, I like it they it has always been.
    I totally agree, the debate goes where it goes. Regardless of the use of emboldening, which is actually a wee bit sad.

    However I have to insist that, given the context, "wherever" is one word.

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I totally agree, the debate goes where it goes. Regardless of the use of emboldening, which is actually a wee bit sad.

    However I have to insist that, given the context, "wherever" is one word.
    I wanted you to catch that.

    But this........

    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I like it they it has always been.
    was a horrible screw up.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-10-2005 at 10:41 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Newcasil
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,076
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I totally agree, the debate goes where it goes. Regardless of the use of emboldening, which is actually a wee bit sad.

    However I have to insist that, given the context, "wherever" is one word.
    Is the use of "sad", used in this context, now the correct English word?

    Or have you joined with the youth of the nation in this regard?
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 05-10-2005 at 10:44 PM.

    An It Harm None, Do What You Will

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I totally agree, the debate goes where it goes. Regardless of the use of emboldening, which is actually a wee bit sad.

    However I have to insist that, given the context, "wherever" is one word.
    you are now 30 of the most boring people i know

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    JPaul welcome to club man!!!!

    I've been a member for quite a while.

    What did you say?

    You couldn't give a wee shit?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    JPaul welcome to club man!!!!

    I've been a member for quite a while.
    no .....you are just a strange person... boring you are not

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    no .....you are just a strange person... boring you are not
    Aww come on...I said welcome to club.

    I Tarzan.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •