Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Upgade Would You Choose?

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    OK, since everyone else seems to be posting these either/or kind of questions lately, here's mine. I would like to finally upgrade from Win98 to XP. I'd also like to upgrade my TNT2 32MB video card to a Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB. Trouble is, I can only afford to do one or the other right now. Which one will make me happier?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TRshady
    I have just upgraded my riva TNT2 to a geforce 4 and the difference is amazing. I recommend changing your graphics card and gettingwindows 2000 pro off kazaa which I've used for over a year and works fine (with updates). Wait till a definite version of XP comes out on kazaa.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Do you play a lot of games or want to? I'd go for the video card personally. But then again, I do a lot of photshop and 3d work, and do a lot of gaming, so the video card is more important to me. Or you could take the risk and download XP from here. Check the verified software lists and see if it's there. ALso, XP takes up a lot more space than 98 and needs more RAM to run right. Otherwise it's a solid OS. I've been using it for a year and a half and have none of the usual windows complaints about it at all. But if temproarily I had to choose one or the other, the video card for sure.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Why would you buy XP, just get it off Kazza For free - hey that rimes .

and spend your money on a video card.

TRshady  Posted: 8 April 2003 - 07:34

I have just upgraded my riva TNT2 to a geforce 4 and the difference is amazing. I recommend changing your graphics card and gettingwindows 2000 pro off kazaa which I've used for over a year and works fine (with updates). Wait till a definite version of XP comes out on kazaa.
    Definite version??, there are ready with service pack.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    just use these...

and buy the vid card..

File:Microsoft.Windows.XP.Corp.SP1-Integrated.Reformation.ShareReactor.cue
    Length:131 Bytes,0KB
    UUHash:=6hIBLOxmylB5UjXC012Qj3z///8=

File:Microsoft_Windows_XP_Corp_SP1_Integrated.Reformation.ShareReactor.BIN
    Length:619420368 Bytes,604903KB
    UUHash:=Q0Q78YPBHNAN5UZTWrf8Kj5wnlw=

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Thanks Schmiggy, but the idea of using a pirated OS just makes me kind of nervous. What if something goes wrong, and I can't get any updates or tech support. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft already knows exactly who is using a registered version of XP and who isn't.

Thanks also to TRshady and reality23. I do play a lot of 3D games, and I wanted to be sure that I'd notice the difference with a newer video card.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    If you need tech support, and you cant find help for it online, then you have a serious problem.

For one, most help you will get from microsoft will refer you to their "knowledge base" online. Which you can just as easily search yourself.

I had your same reservations on my first pirated os too, win98... but, you learn things yourself, you friend friends, and others to help online. MS isnt the only who can fix their software problems, over half the time its other people that figure out fixes to the issues anyhow,

And so what if they do? They gonna come knock on those peoples door? Gonna have tired knuckles right quick.

Hey, its your money, you wanna drop 80-150$ on xp home or pro, your more then welcome to.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by TRshady@8 April 2003 - 06:34
    could you post a Sig2Dat link?
    Overnet Lite 0.53

Free hosting for P2P clients - PM me

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I say definately go with the video card. Don't be too paranoid about getting Windows XP off of Kazaa. Now htey have programs where you can change your CD key so you can download the Serive Packs without a problem. And don't worry Windows 98 is still a decent operating system anyway.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    upgrade you graphcs card, then you can always dl xp.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast