Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless people should not be able to have dogs.

They normally pick up with stray dogs who don't have a home anyway
    That about sums it up. I doubt a homeless man will go to an animal shelter and pick out a pooch (or other animal), nor do I believe most people would allow him to adopt a pet from their homes.

Strays for strays.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    The easy way to do it is to euthanize both of them. Carbon Monoxide seems to work will.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I remember reading a report on why the local humane society was selling euthanized dogs to be rendered and processed to make animal feed. They said it was cleaner than cremating them.
    Last edited by Yoga; 05-15-2005 at 05:50 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    FFS is this a wind up.

You see a homeless person and you're biggest concern is whether the dog is properly looked after.

Stop feckin' anthropomorphizing, it's a dog. It needs food, water and exercise. If it doesn't get the proper food, tough. It's unlikely that the homeless person gets a proper diet either. Loads of animals don't get a proper diet. Loads of humans die every day from starvation, or disease.

In fact, here's an idea, let him eat the dog. Good meal for him and the dog out of it's misery.

Pish like this really gets my goat.

Person > Dog.

I started reading this thread and got to JP's post and basically it could just stop right there.

Many folks on here got their priorities mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    If you think animals are the same as humans

STFU!!! and GTFO!!!

...and fight for something worthwile. We eat them. They provide clothing. They are used in medical research.....to help YOU. They have no rights. If someone is beating the shit out of a dog, they need to be delt with surely but otherwise go get a life. Your children's medication was probably developed through animal research first so don't get all PETA or ALF on folks.

(sorry guys I just saw the beginning of 28 Days Later again)
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Lounge   -   #25
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I don't think that because there are worse things in the world that we should ignore lesser things. If the Canuk is bothered by animal welfare that is his prerogative. it doesn't mean he is untouched by the plight of the homeless person.

Most intelligent people can multitask when it comes to opinions.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    My thoughts exactly.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    The reason the dog is there is so that you will say 'Awe the shame' and donate money. It is just a prop. If it does not earn enough it will go the same way as a lot of greyhounds and pigeons that dont earn enough. It will be replaced with another 'cuddly' wee thing.
    That is the point, and that is why the Canuk was instinctively upset, and I agree with him.

I'm a bit unclear why this got peoples goat. It could be that this man, who cares not to provide for himself, will care to provide for his new friend because he loves dogs, but that's a little bit unrealistic.

Unrealistic given the fact that he has a fighting dog. One that probably came from a mother bred for fighters and one that will probably return to ring when it's cuteness is gone and it's presence starts to scare people. Or maybe he'll just be let "free" to fend for himself in the greater Toronto area.

One thing is for sure, a new pup will be aquired for the next begging season.

Acquiring a pet is a responsibility to provide for the life of the animal. In the US many ducks are bred to produce Easter ducklings which people buy in droves because they are cute. Average ownership time< 6 months.

The whole thing is a vicious cycle. It creates excess animals which go on to die from disease, sarvation, neglect, or euthanasia (if they are lucky). I say kick that guy in the balls.

BTW, don't give them a cent, ever. Being homeless is a lifestyle choice and you keep it a viable option by donating your money. No money? You will be amazed at their resourcefulness when push comes to shove.
    Last edited by hobbes; 05-15-2005 at 08:19 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I don't know why but when I saw the thread I thought it was going to say Homless people shouldn't able to decorate.

I recall an old busker who had a rather beautiful white alastian. However, they clearly adored each other and the dog was almost certainly his best friend. I know some people gave him cans of dog food so I guess his dog ate ok. I think it would be a hard hearted person (or JP ) that would have taken his dog from him.
    I don't think the Canuk really wants laws to prevent homeless people from having pets. I think he was emotionally responding to the likely exploitation of the puppy and it's eventual harsh demise.

The animal protection enforcers look at each case and judge removal of the animal from it's owner on the merits of that case.

There was a guy who had 6 dogs and who lived in a van. The van was for shit but the dogs were in perfect health. He had mutts, not a breeds. He also did not beg.

Other cases show that people in nice houses were neglecting their pets. One poor dog was immobilized because if extensive knotting of the hair, which they couldn't be bothered to get cut away. That dog was removed from the home.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I don't think that because there are worse things in the world that we should ignore lesser things. If the Canuk is bothered by animal welfare that is his prerogative. it doesn't mean he is untouched by the plight of the homeless person.

Most people don't though.

No one said ignore lesser issues but when someone brings up something that I more or less consider bullshit in the scheme of things then I am going to let loose my opinion. Whether or not a homeless person has a pet isn't even a blip on the radar to me.

Most people fighting for animal rights are fighting for the one's that are "cute" and they are full of shit.

People from PETA concentrate so much effort into animal rights that they loose sight of what is important in the scheme of things.

I have no wish for animals to be mistreated. However, many animals that don't get adopted get put to sleep.

A homeless person with a furry friend isn't that much of issue. Most of the homeless that I see on the street don't want to work, are on drugs, and/or are mentally unstable.

A bigger issue for me is unemployment of those that want to work and/or are struggling to feed their kids. I say leave the homeless fella be with his pet and if it's an issue for a passerby, STFU. take the pet from him/her and adopt it themselves.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-16-2005 at 12:11 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast