Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fox News

Originally posted by j2k4@25 April 2003 - 03:59
    FOX has, by far, the best collection of newsbabes.
    What about "The naked news" where they peel off their clothing and read the headlines nude.

That's all about revealing the "truth".

Let's do a little research first before making such hasty statements, eh?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Originally posted by j2k4@25 April 2003 - 03:59
    FOX has, by far, the best collection of newsbabes.
    which speaks volumes about their viewership. haven't read Amusing Ourselves To Death in years, but neil postman really nailed the impact of tv on journalism, imho.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Alright-
    Somebody give an opinion as to which, of all available, (network OR cable) suffers NO bias.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by j2k4@25 April 2003 - 05:42
    Alright-
    Somebody give an opinion as to which, of all available, (network OR cable) suffers NO bias.
    local newstations.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by kAb+25 April 2003 - 10:54--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kAb @ 25 April 2003 - 10:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@25 April 2003 - 05:42
    Alright-
    local newstations. [/b][/quote]
    Not in Denver.
    My local news consists mainly of recycled bits right from the network. Very irritating in fact, as they cover very little "local" news at all, preferring instead to rehash the same stories I just saw on national news. Personally, I enjoy watching BBC News. I&#39;m sure they are just as biased as anyone else, but it&#39;s interesting to get a non-US approach to stories. I was VERY sorry to see Daljit go... now she was a newsbabe&#33;
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Poster
    A small tribute to comical Ari & others.....people at the real cutting edge of truthful recounting of non-embellished &#39;facts&#39;.

I thought comical Ali was a strangely endearing character at times,but at least he said it with a wry smile.These guys are the &#39;Tellers&#39; of media management,without a flicker of humour crossing their blank visages.

Some of &#39;em could at least have had spinning bow-ties,huge flat shoes,or noses that light up

http://pearly7000.tripod.com/htmls/bush-ari.html

Take care

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Somewhere, a good while back, someone coined the description "Talking Head" (way before the group-BTW-burned Milwaukee down one night w/David Byrne and Jerry Harrison, on Harrison&#39;s birthday-forgot that one) to refer to those who "say the news".
    I think it was at that point the unapologetic slanting of news began in earnest, at ALL levels.
    Historically, of course, bias has always existed; Edward R. Murrow being amongst the earliest and most effective practicioners.
    As re: local news: The copy-cat/mimicry of big-city news is a foregone conclusion. The only content therein that can be described as "local" is weather and sports, and even those are adulterated, especially stylistically.

I could go on, but I know I shouldn&#39;t.

Suffice it to say, these days, you don&#39;t choose your news, you choose your bias; the only option is to watch as much as possible from as many different directions as possible and hope your mental filtering/tagging apparatus is equipped with the latest "drivers", updates, etc.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by j2k4@25 April 2003 - 14:42
    Alright-
    just wanted to clarify, i&#39;m certainly not asking for bias-free journalism, i don&#39;t believe it exists. Like you say, j2k4, choose your bias. But there&#39;s good and there&#39;s bad bias, and neither cnn nor fox has the kind of depth or analysis to warrant "professional" status imho. so give up on the myth of objectivity, but don&#39;t give up the idea that that all points along the political spectrum have their own specturm of good and bad, the professionals and the geraldo rivieras.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+28 April 2003 - 03:40--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 28 April 2003 - 03:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@25 April 2003 - 14:42
    Alright-
    just wanted to clarify, i&#39;m certainly not asking for bias-free journalism, i don&#39;t believe it exists. Like you say, j2k4, choose your bias. But there&#39;s good and there&#39;s bad bias, and neither cnn nor fox has the kind of depth or analysis to warrant "professional" status imho. so give up on the myth of objectivity, but don&#39;t give up the idea that that all points along the political spectrum have their own specturm of good and bad, the professionals and the geraldo rivieras. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m having difficulty with your post; "Good bias and bad bias"??

Methinks it would require a "bias" to determine which.

Give up on WHAT objectivity-given that it doesn&#39;t exist?

I think we all have a predilection, or bias, if you will, re: the nooze we chooze

As far as "depth of analysis", T.V. (twenty-second-sound-bite) doesn&#39;t provide this, and so "depth of analysis" remains the province of the print media, and I am afraid here I mean books.

Books are as close as we can come to being the "true" repositories of fact/opinion, as the process of bringing a book to market affords the author more time to reflect on his/her subject, and is hence less "knee-jerk" than other media.

One still must discriminate carefully when choosing reading material (bias still exists, after all), but at least reading makes for better digestion.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@28 April 2003 - 07:08

As far as "depth of analysis", T.V. (twenty-second-sound-bite) doesn&#39;t provide this, and so "depth of analysis" remains the province of the print media, and I am afraid here I mean books.

Books are as close as we can come to being the "true" repositories of fact/opinion, as the process of bringing a book to market affords the author more time to reflect on his/her subject, and is hence less "knee-jerk" than other media.

Interesting opinion, j2, and probably accurate to boot, unfortunately it&#39;s difficult to form opinions on current events if one must wait years for the definative book to come along.

I would alter "books" to "magazines"* and then agree completely.

*People is NOT a magazine. It is very well printed toilet paper.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast