Thread: Windows OneCare

uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Microsoft Readies Its Antivirus App

Windows OneCare, which include a firewall, anti-spyware, and antivirus features, will be available in beta later this year.

Joris Evers, IDG News Service
    Friday, May 13, 2005

Microsoft is readying a new consumer security product that offers virus and spyware protection, a new firewall and several tune-up tools for Windows PCs, a move that pits the software giant squarely against traditional security software vendors.

The product, dubbed Windows OneCare, will be tested internally at Microsoft starting this week. A public test, or beta, version is scheduled to be available by year's end, Microsoft said in a statement this week. The final product will be offered as a subscription service, the Redmond, Washington, software maker says.
    more @ PCWorld.com

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    It's a little steep that Microsoft will charge to plug holes its operating systems have itself created.?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Yeah, and it won't just be a one off charge, but a subscription service.
    I guess M$'s grasp of irony is a lot like thier firewall - not one of thier strong points.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I don't think I would care to use winupdates to download new definitions when they are avalable. I like this quote :

"This is a challenge for Microsoft: the inherent conflict of interest in that Microsoft has had to constantly struggle with this need to fix problems in their own products," says Neil MacDonald, a Gartner research analyst. For Microsoft to sell antivirus and anti-spyware products is akin to "the water company, which has smelly water, selling filters to take the smell out," he says.