Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: IE7 Will Have Tabbed Browsing

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by davec8
    I can't see why anyone would prefer multiple windows. Tabs make for faster, easier and more convenient surfing. Multiple windows are nothing but a pain in the ass. At least IE's finally taking a step in the right direction there.
    You said it. I can't imagine why in the world someone would perfer multiple windows over tabbed browsing.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #22
    true_neo's Avatar The Dark Lord Revan
    I know why someone might want to prefer multiple windows:
    1. They like how having one IE instance crash crashes every single one of them
    2. They like having 20 instances of iexplore.exe eat up 20 MB a piece of their swap file
    3. They like having to click Alt+Tab 2 times to move to the next window instead of just Crtl+Tab once
    4. They like having their taskbar cluttered, preferrably impossible to read the webpage titles, thus forcing them to click 15 windows to find the one their looking for
    5. They like having to restart 19 windows once they apply a setting to the 20th window
    6. And last, but not least: They think everything that doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it is a threat to the Galactic Empire, and must therefore be avoided at all costs.

XD
    Sage goes in the signature field.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #23
    This will be cool. I've seen longhorn, this will help get XP users closer.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #24
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    1. You don't need any extensions to turn tabs off in ff, you just need to change some settings so it always opens new windows or always uses just the one tab, but I dunno' why you'd want that.

2. There's something strange with you if you prefer multiple windows over multiple tabs, there are absolutely no benefits I can think of that would make it better.

I can think of a lot of reasons why it's worse, though.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-19-2005 at 07:08 PM.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #25
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    2. There's something strange with you if you prefer multiple windows over multiple tabs, there are absolutely no benefits I can think of that would make it better.
    I always have at least two windows open; when in forums, for instance, in one window I have the post list and I drag each link to the other window to open it.
    This is just the way I prefer to browse. I have tried multi-tabbed browsers and cannot see any improvement over multi-windowed versions.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #26
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    I always have at least two windows open; when in forums, for instance, in one window I have the post list and I drag each link to the other window to open it.
    This is just the way I prefer to browse. I have tried multi-tabbed browsers and cannot see any improvement over multi-windowed versions.
    I use multiple windows this same reason.

However I use tabs as well when I don't need to drag and drop.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by true_neo
    I know why someone might want to prefer multiple windows:
    1. They like how having one IE instance crash crashes every single one of them
    2. They like having 20 instances of iexplore.exe eat up 20 MB a piece of their swap file
    3. They like having to click Alt+Tab 2 times to move to the next window instead of just Crtl+Tab once
    4. They like having their taskbar cluttered, preferrably impossible to read the webpage titles, thus forcing them to click 15 windows to find the one their looking for
    5. They like having to restart 19 windows once they apply a setting to the 20th window
    6. And last, but not least: They think everything that doesn't have the Microsoft logo on it is a threat to the Galactic Empire, and must therefore be avoided at all costs.

XD
    1. I haven't seen an IE crash on my machine since IE6.
    2. Like it? I don't worry about it because I'm not anal.
    3. I like picking the window I want from the taskbar. I don't try to be uber-efficient with my keystrokes either, though, so counting any Alt+Tabs I may need to use in the fashion of an AOLer TXTing just doesn't happen here.
    4. With Windows XP and Taskbar grouping, you will notice that only one button exists per application when things get 'tight' down there, thus ensuring two clicks is the maximum requirement.
    5. When and why would I want to apply settings to an IE window? I don't think I've ever done that.
    6. And last, but not least: I don't think that everything with an MS logo on it is spawn of the Devil and judge it on it's merits.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #28
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    You can do the same thing with tabs, in fact, when using something like maxthon, you can just drag the link, and another tab will automatically open to display the link.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    You can do the same thing with tabs, in fact, when using something like maxthon, you can just drag the link, and another tab will automatically open to display the link.
    You mean like IE's 'open in a new window' but with tabs? I don't like to do that, I like to open in another existing window.

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #30
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Well I'm all for freedom of choice, i.e. allowing people to choose their own different ways of working...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast