Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Galloway's Senate Showdown

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    George Galloway had vowed to give US senators "both barrels" and after sitting - coiled - through an hour-and-half of testimony against him, he unloaded all his ammunition.

Far from displaying the forelock-tugging deference to which senators are accustomed, Mr Galloway went on the attack.

He rubbished committee chairman Norm Coleman's dossier of evidence and stared him in the eye.

"Now I know that standards have slipped over the last few years in Washington, but for a lawyer, you are remarkably cavalier with any idea of justice," the MP declared.

The whole room scanned Mr Coleman's face for a reaction. The senator shifted in his seat - nervously it seemed.

It was the first time a British politician had been interrogated as a hostile witness at the US Senate - but Mr Galloway cast himself not as the accused, but the accuser.

On stage at the heart of American power, he attacked the US-led war on Iraq and accused Washington of installing a "puppet" regime there.

'Lions' den'

The Scotsman launched into his opening statement with relish.

He had never received any money or any allocations of oil from Iraq. He was not, as the committee alleged, a supporter of Saddam Hussein.

"I have a rather better record of opposition to Saddam Hussein than you do, and than any member of the British or American governments do," he told the committee.

Mr Galloway had expected to testify before a panel of 13 senators in what he termed their "lions' den".

But he faced off against just two, Mr Coleman and Democratic counterpart Carl Levin.

It was Republican Mr Coleman who bore the brunt of the attack in one of the Senate's most flamboyant confrontations.

"Senator, in everything I said about Iraq, I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong," he told the chairman, whom he labelled a "neo-con, pro-war hawk".

Mr Coleman tried desperately to take it without emotion, but at one point could not resist breaking in to a smile.

'He's no lyncher'

In the face of Mr Galloway's refusal to accept anything the senators were claiming might be true, they tried to establish a link between a Jordanian businessman who they believe received oil allocations from Saddam Hussein, and Mr Galloway's children's charity.

Mr Galloway said the businessman had given money to the charity but he, Mr Galloway, had never known where it came from.

The senators believe that it came from Iraq, but they could come up with no proof and their questions ended.

Senator Levin later said he was "deeply troubled" that Mr Galloway had "ducked the question".

But it was Mr Galloway who looked most satisfied as he left the vast, wood-panelled committee room.

Outside in a corridor he told reporters he thought he had put the committee on the ropes, saying of Mr Coleman: "He's not much of a lyncher."

The senators, however, were playing down the confrontation.

'A knockout'

"This was not a wrestling match," Mr Coleman protested. "It wasn't a contest."

Asked his reaction to the "unusual" manner of the witness, he replied: "I was not offended by what he had to say, it was not relevant.

"The theatre, the dramatics - I was not looking at that. I had one goal and it was to make a record."

The pundits disagreed. One observer of Capitol Hill politics declared the result: "Galloway by a knockout - before round five."

Others cast the confrontation as Braveheart on Capitol Hill.

But though he left the building professing himself satisfied with his trip to Washington, only time will tell whether Mr Galloway has blown away the allegations he described as the "mother of all smokescreens".

Mr Coleman said he didn't think Mr Galloway had been a "credible witness". If it was found he had lied under oath, there would be "consequences", he said.
    Source

Considering the news coverage of the hearing, I'm surprised the usual suspects (especially RF) haven't posted this already

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've just finished watching the full BBC video of the testimony. Unfortunately it only shows the view of George Galloway.

I would have liked to have seen more of the expressions on the faces of the two senators as he tore into them, as seen on the edited and commented excerpts.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    He does seem to be someone with nothing to hide and from what I know of him he will be dining on this for some time to come. By all accounts his charity connection with Fawaz Zureikat was on the record.

The democrats could do with someone like him in the filibuster debate
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-19-2005 at 01:11 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It was very entertaining.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Galloway was great..when he got done blasting them at the hearing, I was cheering him. I wish some politicians here would have the balls already to open their mouths and speak the truth.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I really don't like George Galloway, purely on a personal level, the man is smarmy. I have met him and he's the sort of chap that you count your fingers after having shaken his hand.

The fact that he "out-debated" a couple of minor US politicians on the basis of his self-righteous indignation impresses me not one jot. "You've got nothing on me" also strikes of "you can't prove it", rather than "I didn't do it".

The man is a consumate politician, clever and devious and I have no time for him.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Galloway was great..when he got done blasting them at the hearing, I was cheering him. I wish some politicians here would have the balls already to open their mouths and speak the truth.
    If you like him that much, you can keep him...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I really don't like George Galloway, purely on a personal level, the man is smarmy. I have met him and he's the sort of chap that you count your fingers after having shaken his hand.

The fact that he "out-debated" a couple of minor US politicians on the basis of his self-righteous indignation impresses me not one jot. "You've got nothing on me" also strikes of "you can't prove it", rather than "I didn't do it".

The man is a consumate politician, clever and devious and I have no time for him.
    Agreed.

If this man was such a good politicion why did he not stand in his own constituance. To me it was a well rehearsed speech.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    "You've got nothing on me" also strikes of "you can't prove it", rather than "I didn't do it".
    Which bit of "I have never bought or sold a barrel of oil" was unclear? Having categorically stated his innocence, "you've got nothing on me" takes on the meaning "someone has been making all this up". A subtle nuance of the English language you seem to have overlooked.
    The man is a consumate politician, clever and devious
    I don't like the man myself, but I think this statement better fits your beloved fuhrer leader, Tony B'Liar. Not much chance of that though, given your "unthinking" support.
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughfakefiles
    If this man was such a good politicion why did he not stand in his own constituance.
    Other political parties do this all the time, why did Gordon Brown not choose the nearest constituency when his own was lost due to re-organisation? You can hardly say he went for the easy option, going up against one of Labour's prefered candidates in a "safe" seat.
    To me it was a well rehearsed speech.
    No doubt you would have expected him to go totally unprepared. Get real.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Poster
    I was absolutely laughing my arse off when he said

"I have met Saddam Hussain twice, the same amount of times as Donald Rumsfeld, the only difference is - he went to sell him guns"

Lmao...priceless. Really priceless.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast