Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: women in combat

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    There is a bill going through congress at the moment that has a part that would ban women from serving in direct ground combat. This would mean that there are certain units that women could not serve in.

In this age where equality is being fought for is this fair or the right thing to do?

I do believe that some women can do such jobs better than some men and my view is that we have a totally voluntary military so if women wish to engage in combat they shouldn't be prevented from doing so providing they meet the same standards the men have to.

I will add that although I believe that many women are physically and mentally able to do such jobs I sometimes feels that they should not be doing them. For example we shouldn't have female guards at male prisons and on the flip side we shouldn't have male guards in women's prisons.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    If she can do the job and wants to, I have no problem.

Banning women from combat purely on the grounds of gender smacks of being patted on the head by the big strong men who know better than you do....dear.

Patronising and unworthy of an equal society.

Anyone, should be able to fight for their country, regardless of gender.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I do believe that some women can do such jobs better than some men and my view is that we have a totally voluntary military so if women wish to engage in combat they shouldn't be prevented from doing so providing they meet the same standards the men have to.
    My thoughts exactly. If they meet the requirements and pass the training at the same standard as a man, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to engage in combat, the same as a man.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Yup,

Provided a person is consistently capable of doing the job and does not require any allowances made for them then I have no problem with that.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara
    If she can do the job and wants to, I have no problem.

Banning women from combat purely on the grounds of gender smacks of being patted on the head by the big strong men who know better than you do....dear.

Patronising and unworthy of an equal society.

Anyone, should be able to fight for their country, regardless of gender.
    Totally agree.

Wasn't there a story a month ago of a female reservist defending her platoon or something? Apparently their convoy got ambushed and she took out 2-3 insurgents before jumping on the humvee's .50 cal - I can't find the story right now

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    @ Samurai:
    It wasn't just a story, it was true.

@all

There are some who have been arguing that women, especially mothers, should not be forced to fight. I'm afraid that I could only take this on board if the same people said that fathers shouldn't have to fight..... but then where would our military be?

this is an example of the ones I am talking about

I'm afraid to say that if you join up voluntarily you have to be prepared to do what the military does....fight....... If you can't meet the physical requirements then you should not be accepted into service.

I do appreciate that some in the USA find themselves in the situation where the military is the only option to gain healthcare and education for themselves and families, but if they do choose this route then again as adults they have to accept the downside.

I admit that I find the death of female service personnel harder to swallow than that of male. I don't like any losing their life...just when it's a woman it seems worse. But if we want equality there should be no walls put up to those that wish to fight.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I admit that I find the death of female service personnel harder to swallow than that of male. I don't like any losing their life...just when it's a woman it seems worse.
    So you are a patronizing sexist then, or do I miss your point.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    So you are a patronizing sexist then, or do I miss your point.
    you miss my point.

I find women's deaths sadder somehow. I don't know why, perhaps because of the nature of the society I live in. Perhaps because it's such an unusual thing in the military it carries a greater shock value.

It doesn't mean that I feel women should be protected any better than the men.....If we let emotions rule over common sense we would be in trouble. I wish for all to be out of harms way but that's not the nature of the military.
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-20-2005 at 05:15 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I wouldn't want women in combat.

I rather have them go in the kitchen bucket naked, fix me a sandwich, and come back so we can practice making babies.

Actually I think only women that...

Volunteer for combat (not just military)

and are physically able should fight.

Women should never be forced to fight.

They bare children ffs.

Some things about gender should have some separation besides bathrooms.

I would prefer no women fight.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    @busy

Pregnant women in combat is a big no no.... the fact that they may one day become pregnant is irrelavant as far as I am concerned.

Do you also think then that men should be allowed to join the military for purely non combat duties.... E.g. only men that volunteer for combat duties should be forced to fight?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast