Thread: F-secure

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'm moving at the end of the May. I'll be changing ISP's , its called Shaw Cable.
    They have a free security suite called Shaw Secure based on F-secure.
    I use a combo of different programs that work well, but I'm curious .

I think some US and European ISP's use it . I read about it on the Shaw forum site but all I get is some mind blowing statments like its a resource hog ! I'v never heard of it so was wondering if any here have tryed it .

Link: http://www.f-secure.com/products/anti-virus/fsis2005/

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enca/Cust...shawsecure.htm
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-23-2005 at 01:43 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yuccaman's Avatar The Country Bumpkin
    I've got the F-Secure Security suite and can't say I've noticed any hogging of resources....

It's Anti Virus, Firewall, anti Spyware (based on Ad-Aware), anti-Spam and Parental controls....

Quite nice although it does have the odd problem now and again....

Touch wood, it's kept any nasty away from my computer....

Both the Anti Virus part and the suite itself have got some good reviews for the 2005 version in the UK Computer press....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuccaman
    I've got the F-Secure Security suite and can't say I've noticed any hogging of resources....

It's Anti Virus, Firewall, anti Spyware (based on Ad-Aware), anti-Spam and Parental controls....

Quite nice although it does have the odd problem now and again....

Touch wood, it's kept any nasty away from my computer....

Both the Anti Virus part and the suite itself have got some good reviews for the 2005 version in the UK Computer press....

Thanks for the imput Yuccaman, I was kidding about the hogging of resources .
    Welcome to the site by the way. Its about time the ISP's took some responsibility , what with the price of a cable connection.I think its a great idea. Don't think I want to give up my tryed and true programs. But was wondering about it for some of my friends .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I think those internet security "suite" packages really make for a good defense on PC's that are in homes with little prying eyes and what have you.

But truth be told, nothing, IMO, beats the sheer power and bloatlessness of client-based firewalls and anti-virus. I think it just depends on a users situation and who has access to the system. "F-Secure" sounds like a great "all-in-one" for families and systems with multiple users. All the good management tools are there to control what children see while protecting your system from the things that they might stumble across. Yet if it is just a single user, I might consider something along the lines of Symantec's Client Security and save yourself the RAM everything else tends to consume.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 05-24-2005 at 08:32 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ya Izagaia, thats what I was thinking . I have a few older granny type friends with kids visiting all the time. I'm helping them upgrade, I don't have the time or patience to update their computer software all the time . They live in the Shaw area so looks like a good package , its free aswell on 3 computers . I
    usually help them pick a computer and setup for them. This would make it so much easier. I don't mind doing for them but then they install a game for little Jimmy, then wonder why it won't connect to the internet.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Well hell- that is sure kind of you to do that for them.

Hope it all works out and connects alright afterwards!