Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: What does the rest of the World have that the USA does'nt?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    -
    @Busyman maybe the Brits are taking things too seriously ?

Britain suffers sense of humour failure

due to worries of modern life
    Tue May 24, 5:41 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Britain is suffering a sense of humour failure, with laughter levels three times lower now than 50 years ago and nearly half of all adults unable to enjoy at least one big guffaw a day, research showed.

Money worries, relationship woes and even political concerns were among the reasons given for the collection of grim faces, according to the data, collected for the cruise company Ocean Village.

"Laughter is an essential ingredient of a healthy, happy life and is one of the most effective and immediate antidotes to stress and tension -- it really is the best medicine," said Amanda Bate from Ocean Village.

"The findings of this study show a worrying trend towards glumness. In the 1950s we laughed for an average of 18 minutes daily but this has dropped to just six minutes per day," she said.

Morning misery is rife, with almost half of Britons -- some 45 percent -- admitting they frequently wallowed in gloom until lunchtime.

Around 16 million adults, totalling 40 percent, said they failed to muster even one proper belly laugh in an average day.

It is not all sulking and moodiness, however, as the research found that single women aged 18 to 24 in the northern city of Manchester were the happiest people in the country.

In addition, Bristol, in western England, was named the most cheerful place for couples aged 25 to 34.

Factors such as weather, time of day and age, were all cited as being able to spark the blues.

July and August were the happiest months of the year according to three out of four people quizzed, with January the most miserable.

The study was carried out by ICM Research on behalf of Ocean Village who interviewed a random selection of 1,000 adults aged 18 or over.
    Well here's some appalling American humor to be appalled about....it's appalling

Hahaha

Notice afterwards that one fella gets a standing 8 count ffs.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #122
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Many of the folks that say American entertainment sucks probably are saying it while engrossed in the latest episode of Lost (which I will be watching tonight, 2-hour season finale ).

Well, I do enjoy American film and TV shows (I haven't said different), though I think the British are on par or better when it comes to TV. Though the differences make it hard to compare. ER versus Casualty? The two nations comedies are worlds apart as well.

Film-wise I think America comes out on top but not by leaps and bounds, I do think world cinema needs to be embraced more by Hollywood execs rather than just remaking (and in most cases spoiling) a good idea from abroad. Kung-Fu Hustle did really well recently on release there (America) as a subtitled movie, that's a step in the right direction after the shocking butcher job they did with Shaolin Soccer.

Anyhow before I rehash the old argument about remakes, I will be watching Lost slightly later as it hasn't been picked up in Britain yet. I have to say that the number of American shows that I have to watch has gone up, they do sci-fi (Lost vaguely fits into this genre) very well.
    I think it's leaps and bounds better.

The Godfather
    Scarface
    Star Wars
    Indiana Jones
    The Terminator
    The Matrix
    The Color Purple

I could go on easily....

but....everyone has their opinion.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #123
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday

What the fuck have couples in Bristol got to be so cheerful about? It's fecking Bristol.

Suicide capital of England is it not?

4. Lounge   -   #124
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB

What the fuck have couples in Bristol got to be so cheerful about? It's fecking Bristol.

Suicide capital of England is it not?

Yeah, but that's the single people. I guess it's no fun being single with loads of happy couples frolicking round. :hateshappycouples:

5. Lounge   -   #125
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

Well, I do enjoy American film and TV shows (I haven't said different), though I think the British are on par or better when it comes to TV. Though the differences make it hard to compare. ER versus Casualty? The two nations comedies are worlds apart as well.

Film-wise I think America comes out on top but not by leaps and bounds, I do think world cinema needs to be embraced more by Hollywood execs rather than just remaking (and in most cases spoiling) a good idea from abroad. Kung-Fu Hustle did really well recently on release there (America) as a subtitled movie, that's a step in the right direction after the shocking butcher job they did with Shaolin Soccer.

Anyhow before I rehash the old argument about remakes, I will be watching Lost slightly later as it hasn't been picked up in Britain yet. I have to say that the number of American shows that I have to watch has gone up, they do sci-fi (Lost vaguely fits into this genre) very well.
    I think it's leaps and bounds better.

The Godfather
    Scarface
    Star Wars
    Indiana Jones
    The Terminator
    The Matrix
    The Color Purple

I could go on easily....

but....everyone has their opinion.
    indiana jones is the only one there, that's not a overhyped boretrain
    not to say it isn't overhyped

i was just thinking; the reason american films suck so much is they always have some kind of sexual tension/love story making a good 20% of the scenes boring as hell. anyone seen 51st state?
    Last edited by GepperRankins; 05-25-2005 at 04:42 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #126
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    A lot of others care though, just look at the letter skizo posted, for example.

Most of us do, but when it comes to television and movies it's kind of full of them, which is why people might be saying american entertainment sucks.

I'm mostly cool with american entertainment, the only part I had a problem with was you saying it was leaps and whatever better. 'cos it really isn't, it's pretty average, there's just more of it to watch.
    I don't understand why there was problem with it. It was an opinion. Anyone can point out some shit movies or TV shows from any country. I happen to think we have more good shows and movies to watch.....from comedies, dramas, sci-fi, action, war.....I don't think there is a comparison really...not by a longshot.
    And I happened to have another opinion. One that comes from having watched a lot of stuff from all over the world to boot.

I didn't even need to call anyone any names to get my opinion across, either, huzzah.

7. Lounge   -   #127
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Yeah I seen it

8. Lounge   -   #128
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I don't understand why there was problem with it. It was an opinion. Anyone can point out some shit movies or TV shows from any country. I happen to think we have more good shows and movies to watch.....from comedies, dramas, sci-fi, action, war.....I don't think there is a comparison really...not by a longshot.
    And I happened to have another opinion. One that comes from having watched a lot of stuff from all over the world to boot.

I didn't even need to call anyone any names to get my opinion across, either, huzzah.
    Neither I so the point of that statement was what?

I'd like to hear your top 10 films.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Lounge   -   #129
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Spelling
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Lounge   -   #130
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Slavery

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast