Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16232425262728 LastLast

Thread: What does the rest of the World have that the USA does'nt?

MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I don't think Bollywood makes more money than Hollywood. Not by a long chalk. But that's not what JP was suggesting.

I agree, Hollywood exports their movies to every country in the world whereas I imagine Bollywood movies doesn't enjoy the same coverage.
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 05-31-2005 at 01:12 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #252
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Ok so they make more movies and less money.

I stand corrected.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Lounge   -   #253
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I suppose the industry has turned full circle.

Hollywood made most of its early money by portraying white men killing Indians.
    Now Bollywood is making some of its money portraying Indians killing white men.

Different Indians, different white men, but you get the point.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #254
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    The bottom line is that your average American has no particular interest in the rest of the world.

I am given to understand that CNN World News for example often has 1 or 2 short reports about non-US issues. That being during a 1 hour programme. Apparently the other networks are much of a muchness.
    This is pretty much true, but that is not a negative thing or an arrogance thing, it is more an exposure thing.

The US and its economic, military and cultural influences permeate the world and are visible on a daily basis. I am consistently impressed by how well you guys all know our top television shows, movies and even our star athletes.

I remember the incident a few years back involving Beckham wanting to close a shoe store in California so that he and his wife could shop in peace. The owner refused saying that he had no idea who he was. I didn't either. To Americans he is Posh Spice's husband. Only by being a member here do I know anything at all about soccer and it's big players.

So there is not much outside influence on our culture. Your local shows have no market here. You guys get a daily dose of American culture through the shows we broadcast, we don't see you at all. I am not saying that our shows are better, just that our market doesn't need to import foreign programming. Some things do make it, like Absolutely Fabulous, Benny Hill, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who (was that British?) but those shows are quite rare.Whereas you get a feel for America, you guys remain strangers to us. Like that cousin we know is there, but we have never met.

Both economically and militarily what the US does influences many other countries and therefore people take notice of what we do. We make the news, people have strong opinions about us.

You guys don't do much that really has any impact upon the average American, so you get little airtime. We all know Tony Blair because his alliance was important to us. Who are the leaders of Wales, Scotland and Ireland or even Canada. I don't have a clue and I am a bit more global than the average American. I don't even know what title those leaders hold.

The bottom line is that people tend to learn about things that they need to know about. If we needed to know more about Spain, I'm sure there would be more emphasis about it on the news.

I'm sure people will call this arrogance, but it is simply human nature. Individuals really have enough on their plates, day to day, and have little interest in things that have little bearing on their life. When Russia was our big threat, they made airtime, now they get little to any. The news industry provides what people will watch.

The music industry is a good example of familiarity. UK musicians have plenty of popularity here and top singers are household names. So when you put out something we want or need, we go get it. This means that we are not shunning countries outside the US on any active basis, we just only have interest in things that entertains us.

It is not that Americans don't care about people outside the US, it is just that your countries influence is infrequently seen, so you remain strangers to us. Americas' influence is like that guy who sits on your couch and refuses to leave. You know him, whether you like him or not.

Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #255
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    The bottom line is that your average American has no particular interest in the rest of the world.

I am given to understand that CNN World News for example often has 1 or 2 short reports about non-US issues. That being during a 1 hour programme. Apparently the other networks are much of a muchness.
    This is pretty much true, but that is not a negative thing or an arrogance thing, it is more an exposure thing.

The US and its economic, military and cultural influences permeate the world and are visible on a daily basis. I am consistently impressed by how well you guys all know our top television shows, movies and even our star athletes.

I remember the incident a few years back involving Beckham wanting to close a shoe store in California so that he and his wife could shop in peace. The owner refused saying that he had no idea who he was. I didn't either. To Americans he is Posh Spice's husband. Only by being a member here do I know anything at all about soccer and it's big players.

So there is not much outside influence on our culture. Your local shows have no market here. You guys get a daily dose of American culture through the shows we broadcast, we don't see you at all. I am not saying that our shows are better, just that our market doesn't need to import foreign programming. Some things do make it, like Absolutely Fabulous, Benny Hill, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Doctor Who (was that British?) but those shows are quite rare.Whereas you get a feel for America, you guys remain strangers to us. Like that cousin we know is there, but we have never met.

Both economically and militarily what the US does influences many other countries and therefore people take notice of what we do. We make the news, people have strong opinions about us.

You guys don't do much that really has any impact upon the average American, so you get little airtime. We all know Tony Blair because his alliance was important to us. Who are the leaders of Wales, Scotland and Ireland or even Canada. I don't have a clue and I am a bit more global than the average American. I don't even know what title those leaders hold.

The bottom line is that people tend to learn about things that they need to know about. If we needed to know more about Spain, I'm sure there would be more emphasis about it on the news.

I'm sure people will call this arrogance, but it is simply human nature. Individuals really have enough on their plates, day to day, and have little interest in things that have little bearing on their life. When Russia was our big threat, they made airtime, now they get little to any. The news industry provides what people will watch.

The music industry is a good example of familiarity. UK musicians have plenty of popularity here and top singers are household names. So when you put out something we want or need, we go get it. This means that we are not shunning countries outside the US on any active basis, we just only have interest in things that entertains us.

It is not that Americans don't care about people outside the US, it is just that your countries influence is infrequently seen, so you remain strangers to us. Americas' influence is like that guy who sits on your couch and refuses to leave. You know him, whether you like him or not.

It's Shaun Of The Dead.

Great post btw.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-31-2005 at 01:42 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #256
    Gemby!'s Avatar Poster
    shaun of the dead is a great movie
    Single handedly destroying the NHS from the inside

7. Lounge   -   #257
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I had always thought that "Bollywood" was the "market leader".

Is it not the case that "Bollywood" produces about 8 times more movies per year than Hollywood does.

Or do we ignore that because it's across the water and they speak some funny foreign language type thing.

What about the big "Kung Fu" studies in China. They must produce a fair few as well and have a reasonably large audience.
    My apologies, I didn't know Bollywood made more money. I still don't think they make more movies though. We have tons of straight to DVD releases....some actually pretty good movies.
    So we are defining "market leader" as "most profitable". Rather than most prolific, higher quality or whatever. That's what I had thought

8. Lounge   -   #258
    Oh, there seems to be a bit of difference of opinion re the profit thing.

Please bear in mind that most Bollywood films cost buttons to make, compared to Hollywood. So their turnover would have to much less to generate equal or higher profits.

I need to look into this.

9. Lounge   -   #259
    hobbes,

Good post, good points well made. Tho' it does tend to re-inforce other people's view of America's intrinsically isolationist nature

Oh and we have decided on Puntsphere as the boards official nickname for association football. Some people get sniffy about the whole football / soccer debate.

10. Lounge   -   #260
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    I'm calling it Hoofglobe now.
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 05-31-2005 at 02:25 PM.