Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: What does the rest of the World have that the USA does'nt?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Doesn't matter.

Reading words on a screen takes away from on screen visuals.

The average moviegoer can read just fine but if I'm watching visually intensive movie, it fucks it up.

I noticed this recently with the original Spanish version of Vanilla Sky....I like the original better but still hated the subtitles...even though it was barely noticed.

Sounds like a personal reading problem then. Plenty of people have mild forms of dyslexia without even realising it.
    How so?

I can read just fine. I would have prefered not to read a movie. It turns out I had no choice and still liked it.

fWt aer yuo no abtou? Lysdexia?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #52
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Oh he must have been asking for it.
    That's OK well.
    You got your RealitY check, then.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Is it me or where you (busyman) not posting on this site until the word usa popped up.

The world has
    animals
    nature
    oxygen
    photosynthesis
    marshmellows (indeed american)
    social space
    hobos
    malakas
    women

and so much more

but

why does it feel that the world is smaller than the usa?

4. Lounge   -   #54
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    What does the rest of the World have that the USA does'nt?
    A superpower to take the mickey out of.

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 99%
    Is it me or where you (busyman) not posting on this site until the word usa popped up.

The world has
    animals
    nature
    oxygen
    photosynthesis
    marshmellows (indeed american)
    social space
    hobos
    malakas
    women

and so much more

but

why does it feel that the world is smaller than the usa?
    I don't get that feeling at all.

I post in threads that interest me. Interesting threads are hard to come by these days and I don't post in the "chitchat" threads that much. You seem to make some thought provoking threads sometimes versus idle chatter.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-24-2005 at 03:22 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #56
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    That's OK well.
    You got your RealitY check, then.
    No, it proofed too bee unpossible.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Oh, here we go again.

You see that's the problem with folks like yourself. If I say American cinema is better it's an opinion (although pretty accurate by how many outside the US watch it and swear by it). If it wasn't that good then many folks should fucking stop watching it.
    It's all right, as superficial entertainment goes, which is what most of it is.
    Nobody said it was bad, per se, but it isn't excellent either, on average. And really, compared to the rest of the world hollywood churns out a massive amount of movies. The market is full of them, so of course a lot of people watch them. That doesn't mean that american movies are better, it just means that people watch a lot of them as light entertainment in between excellent releases, from wherever.

As far as I'm concerned, the best two movies I ever saw were french, followed by a japanese one. I'm not really keen on movies from my own country, truth be told, which is why it's excellent to not be limited by language.

At least one american movie would rate among my top ten, but since there are lots and lots of them, that's hardly surprising.

Subtitles don't require much thinking. It's reading ffs. I simply pointed out that when your eye is focusing on the bottom of the screen (even if it's not that long), it takes the eye away from the on-screen action. Now in dramas it is not as bad as in a horror or action movie.
    Like I said, you wouldn't notice them, and that's 'cos your focus wouldn't be on them. If you've been around them long enough you can get anything you might need from them just by having them in the periphery. But there's been extensive research done on subtitling, and different countries have different conventions for implementing them.

British, and american subtitling, follows another type of system than ours, where all information that can possibly be crammed into a frame gets put there, which means that the amount of text you have to read is a lot more than the one someone in my country has to absorb.

Our translators favour a less literal approach where the a semantic core is transfered, but not every single word, and they have specific rules about the number of letters allowed on the screen, and how long it has to be displayed.

It's a system that's been through a lot of polishing before it became as good as it is today.

It doesn't take the eye away from anything.

I agree with the edumacation part but it's rather simple logic that one's would prefer a movie made in a language they understand (not necessarily dubbed) than one that's written. If you are trying to learn another language (or are deaf) maybe subtitles are great but most people hit the movies to enjoy the entire cinematic experience.
    The thing is, that since many of us don't really notice the subtitles anymore, we sort of get the information for free without losing out on the experience.

Of course, a majority of us understand english quite well, which means that even the most backward of us only need the subtitles if the language gets tricky. (this only applies to english language movies, obviously)

Like I said though, it would be a hell of a lot easier for you to watch movies with subtitles if you had grown up with them.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-24-2005 at 04:05 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Does that answer your question?
    Gracias og ja comprendo, je suis satisfait
    geen dank nodig

9. Lounge   -   #59
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    That's a bit abusive
    Oh he must have been asking for it.

Anyone notice that Americans don't really come on here insulting other's nationalities?
    Oh yeah... how could I forget. Objectivity.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Anyone notice that Americans don't really come on here insulting other's nationalities?
    No, but that's only 'cos they do it.

Or have you missed all those comments about the french, for instance?
    Last edited by Snee; 05-24-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast